Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2005, 01:25 AM
mystic spirit

Send a message via AIM to wanderingsoul
No-smoking areas harmful to smokers

Ok, I was recently in columbus ohio helping kaelynn move onto the OSU campus. Now OSU is a smoker's hell, it's not allowed ANYWHERE!!! Well not anywhere indoors anyway.

Now I know this is too partially make smoking so uncomfortable to get people to quit or never start. Trust me, anyone smoking a cigarette in the middle of a downpour on a cold columbus night is gonna be pretty frickin uncomfortable!!!

However being in a no smoking area forces smokers to chain smoke to make up for lack of opportunity to smoke whenever. The fucked up thing is that now I'm back home and I'm still chain smoking.

It's easy to filter out the harmful elements of second hand smoke. The smell is a helluva lot harder to get rid of but not the smoke! True, it's not fair to torture non smokers trying to enjoy a family meal who happen to be sitting next to the smoking section. Just as it's not fair to torture smokers who refuse to quit just because business owners aren't willing to fork over the money for the air purifier and non-smokers don't want to smell the odor.

whatcha tink?
Old 10-09-2005, 01:38 AM
broken

Send a message via Yahoo to FallenAngel5
I've always been on the other side of this, so I don't see it in quite the same way. I don't know if I'll get my ass kicked for this but.... I've always felt that people choose to smoke. This is as conscious a decision as my decision to not smoke. And my decision doesn't harm your health. However, yours harms mine, and thus I should not be subjected to the consequences of someone else's choice.

As for the air purifier... the second-hand smoke is still harmful, unless the purifier is attached to the end of your cigarrette.

Sorry.
Baby I’m your slave
I’ll let you whip me if I misbehave
Tie me to the bedpost
I like it rough
cause I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all
Old 10-09-2005, 02:15 AM
mystic spirit

Send a message via AIM to wanderingsoul
slightly more powerful exhaust/circulation fans vented through a purifier would result in low enough carconigen levels in the air that it would not be harmful.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:17 AM
Mod with Bite

Send a message via MSN to Fangtasia
Cheaper for venues to just ban it
Old 10-09-2005, 02:34 AM

It sucks hun... But you should quit... And stop chain smoking you dork!

Some days life can be shitty , some days life can be outstanding ;
Sometimes you find love , sometimes you find fun ;

Just remember through all these changes you are you, special and unique...

Just a reminder to those who are like me and need it...
Old 10-09-2005, 06:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to lazaruslong Send a message via Yahoo to lazaruslong
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingsoul
slightly more powerful exhaust/circulation fans vented through a purifier would result in low enough carconigen levels in the air that it would not be harmful.

IF this is true, (and Im sure it isnt) would you be willing to pay the higher prices it would take for the business to install these extra filters>?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to slide in broadside , thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- What a Ride!
Old 10-09-2005, 07:33 AM
~getting by~

And related to ^^^ as a non-smoker, why should I pay higher prices to visit such an establishment so you can keep up your habit?

I agree with fallenangel, at least initially smokers made the decision to smoke - I understand the nasty impacts of addiction and how difficult quitting can be. But I've also run into too many people that have told me while they understand they are killing themselves one puff at a time, they won't likely quit until the dr tells them they must go on oxygen - I realize this isn't all smokers, but at least some feel this way.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:11 AM
~a little bit naughty~

I'm a non smoker now for three weeks today!!

It's hard thats for sure. My hubby still smokes and I bitch now all the time about the smell and the smoke in the house. He tries to keep it away from me but gets lazy about it. I am on his butt now to quit because he just found out he might have blockage in his heart. I hope he will take charge of his health. I smoked for 23 years and quitting has been a challenge but very doable. You just have to have the right motivation.

I will say when I did smoke I got used to not doing it in places that banned it. You can go several hours without having to have one. That won't kill you at all.

Owning Pita, by my JassWolf!!
My Story~ Friday Night Spanking
Old 10-09-2005, 09:12 AM

TinglingTess,

Excellent! :jump:
Old 10-09-2005, 09:30 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Tess congrats! Tell your man to take it outside or I won't tie him up and make him miserable.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 10-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Larger Than Life

Well done Tess, I agree with all the others as a non smoker my breathing does not affect your health, but you smoking does affect mine
Old 10-09-2005, 10:01 AM
No sir!

Send a message via MSN to Zelezniy Send a message via Yahoo to Zelezniy
Last time I quit was in 2000 and I was smoke free for 3 years, then I happen to meet smoker and I try to make her stop by smoking my self (wise move) Last time I quit it was cold turkey, same will happen this time. Woohoo! she leave in 2 weeks. It's just a matter of personal motivation and if you gonna keep pressuring smokers to quit they will rebel even more. That's not the way it works. Clinton had a right idea by raising tax and choking the industry, not going after consumer/victim but I guess you can conceder raising tax on smokes as hitting smokers where it hurts the most. I wish they'd make it $10 a pack!
Old 10-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Mod with Bite

Send a message via MSN to Fangtasia
About the raising taxes on smokes *L*

Our government makes a shitload of money from smokes...if everyone stops smoking they are still gonna want their shitload of money....where do ya think they're gonna get it from?

Guaranteed they move the tax over onto milk bread etc!
Old 10-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Everybody Stretch!

Hiya Zelezniy (Wow! As a sucky typer...that nic was really hard to remember and type...what's it mean?)...and Welcum to Pixies hun! So glad to see you jumping in and joining a very "hard" topic! Cudos to you! Hope to see you round the boards!

As to the topic? I hate that I am addicted to smoking! However, I am...and I won't debate that! (<---lights up a smoke)

Whenever I go to an establishment that bans smoking I can curtail. It's ok for me for a few hours....but you don't want to be around me after several hours without a "fix". I'm very innovative and resourseful and WILL find a way to "not offend" but get my addiction under control (I'll find a place to puff).

For them to try and ban smoking COMPLETELY only makes us (smokers) more furious! We (smokers) have abided by every rule and "sin tax" sent down from the "holier than thou cause I don't smoke...but you've no idea the other sins I hide in my closet" establishment since they figured out that second hand smoke can be harmful (DUH!!!!! WTF didn't realize that? Raise your hands and go to the back of the class for a fuck'in spankin!). We've been shunned and pushed further and further away from the old time ads which told us "You've come a long way baby". I know more female smoker's than male now-a-days! Sad but true!

So...since we are all shunned and banned from most places today...and if we ALL quit smoking fore the pressure...where will they get those tax monies from? Huh? Huh?

Oh non-smoker's! Hold onto your change purse! They have to "sin tax" something to make up for lost revenue! Be careful what you wish for...it could come back and bite you in the bu...uh...pocketbook!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 10-09-2005, 01:37 PM
~getting by~

or move it to gas tax as if that's not high enough already.