Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2004, 10:22 PM
Count Spankula

Okay. I got caught in a little mis-statement. I stated that the Dems were now the minority in both the house and the senate. They were prior to the Tuesday election (51 Rs, 28Ds, 1 indy; however, the Dems lost 4 seats. The point I was making was that the Republicans have 55 seats now. Even if 1 or 2 of the Rs cross party lines on voting of an issue, they will still have a majority.

My apologies for any confusion I may have caused.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
Thumbs up

A persons record,shows how he really thinks!
When a person campaigns(sp?),he tells you what he wants you to believe
about him,so that you will vote for him.Having lived,both N & S of Mass (Conn
& NH),it was easy to pick the lesser of two evils.Plus bieng a 10% disabled vet
you expect the people whos back you watch,to also watch yours.Many times
your life depends on them! Irish
P.S.I am a registered independant,but no matter what party you're in,that
applies to everyone!
Old 11-05-2004, 06:16 AM

Sugarsprinkles,

While the Democrats did take a serious hit in this election, I don’t see it really as a debacle, they’ll come back. The political process needs it. The American public will demand it. Incumbents are notoriously difficult to unseat, Senator Kerry knew that. Senator Daschle’s defeat was most unusual. The next year will be a time of wound-licking and reflection – and then, inevitably, there will be an opening – there always is.

I too am pleased that President Bush not only won the Electoral College for a second time (which is after all, the vote that counts), but the also the popular vote. This will mute, although I doubt for long, the critics of his policies. They now have received the stamp of popular approval, some three and a half million of them.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:17 AM
Everybody Stretch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Knight
Well, well, well ....

I am still officially retired but being a red in a blue state, I must give a little opinion.

I did vote for GW and I do support him. Right after Sept. 11 he indicated he was going to go after terrorists, not wait for them to attack us and everyone cheered. He is only standing by his convictions. I will not make fun of Kerry for flip-flopping because if he won, I would have to support him as well. (Actually, I think that the way presidents are ridiculed in this country is deliterious to the common good. It is the most powerful position in the world and the person who holds it should be held in high regard. And, you DO NOT become president if you are a complete moron).

Anyways, there are two Americas and the people who live in red states are offended by the way the blue states push their values upon them. (News media, celebrities, etc.) Anyone that thinks that Ben Affleck is going to change someone in Alabama's mind about voting was obviously wrong. I have much more to offer but looking at the map, it seems obvious. Northeast (Boston, New York), upper midwest (Illinois, Michigan), and west coast (California, etc.) all went were blue states. The democrats need to find a way to tap into the heartland. Those people feel disenfranchised by liberal America.

Either way, I still had to go to work this morning, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Hiya CK! LTNS! *hugs*

I'm taking issue with your comments because I think a lot of folks feel the way you do and I've been dying to say something about it for a while.

The map you refer to that shows "the red states and the blue states" show more red than blue because of the electorate vote. What people fail to remember (or even study) are the numbers in the popular vote. Just because the state is in red or blue doesn't mean that there was a landslide vote for a particular party in that state. In this election, some of the numbers were pretty close. And, let's not forget the votes that were tossed out or not counted due to "sufficient" numbers for the candidate to win that electorate vote! What I think this all boils down to is...if they ask people to come out and vote, and they come out in droves as they did in this election, all votes should be counted and used to decide. I don't care for the electoral system as the final decision. It confuses people and gives them high hope on one side of the coin, or no hope on the other side. I feel like it's a way for the government to patronize us (the voters) and show us the simplified version of a complicated and detailed matter. I think most people I know can handle the big picture without the assistance of a mass vote count.

Quote:
And, you DO NOT become president if you are a complete moron).

When I first read this quote from you I thought it said "mormon"...*giggle* Which brings me to another issue...the bible belt. When polled around the country after the election, the most common reply (above and beyond any other concern or issue) to "why" did you vote for Bush was...morality. "I voted for Bush because I stand behind his evangelical principals and I like that he doesn't seperate church and state in the White House"...(one example from a woman I heard interviewed, that stands out in my memory). Not terrorism...Not healthcare...Not the deficit...Not homeland security...etc. God was the answer for the majority of people polled. Of course you all know I am an atheist, but I am NOT off-put by religion or political figures who make known their particular religious affiliate. Some put it forth stronger than others. But, in the face of all that is ahead of us...the fears over the war, the unsettled healthcare issues, the faulty homeland security issues, women's rights, stem cell research, etc...this is the main concern of a large part of our nation? The seperation of church and state is there for a reason and I am saddened that the biggest issue for the majority vote was based on the bible above all other things facing our nation. I have to admit...it scares me to be under the rule of a president that takes the bible so literally. Not to mention...some of the new senators and congress persons!!!

Anyway...there's my thoughts. Nice to see ya still around CK!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 11-05-2004, 06:51 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Lixy, Mr. Lil and I were discussing the same thing last night. I thought the people who came here on the big boat long long ago came to get away from a government/church situation. * shrugs*

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 11-05-2004, 07:29 AM
I make sexytime with you

Morals aren't necessarily an exclusively godly thing, although I'm willing to bet that most of the voters indicating moral issues to be the main decider would disagree. I say you and a few select Pixies *cough*me*cough* form the Republic of Lixy
I want to do something that matters
Old 11-05-2004, 07:52 AM
~getting by~

We had this same discussion about morality the other day. Interesting, I didn't link it to religion, though I can see how you could. Maybe it's because of my church background and many of the moral issues that surface in the bible, I don't take a literal stand on.

So how do you convince people who are so bible blinded that there are much bigger issues? Or would those people argue that we are in these issues because we don't follow the bible more strictly? Interesting food for thought.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:24 AM
I make sexytime with you

Well, interesting you should say that maddy, because Jerry Falwell was quoted as saying the following in reference to September 11(http://en.wikipedia.org/Jerry_Falwell/):

Quote:
And, I know that I'll hear from them for this. But, throwing God out successfully with the help of the federal court system, throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools. The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way - all of them who have tried to secularize America - I point the finger in their face and say "you helped this happen."

Falwell later distanced himself from any statement blaming any people other than the terrorists directly responsible, even though Pat Robertson agreed:

Quote:
Well, I totally concur, and the problem is we have adopted that agenda at the highest levels of our government. And so we're responsible as a free society for what the top people do. And, the top people, of course, is the court system.

I doubt they're alone, though how widely held those opinions are I can't say.
I want to do something that matters
Old 11-05-2004, 08:34 AM

Talking

There might soon be a new religious outlook on this.George Soros(sp?) said
that he would spend any amount of money,to keep Bush,from getting re-
elected.He also said that he would enter a monestary,if Bush,got re-elected.
When he enters,maybe we will have a new religious outlook! Irish
Old 11-05-2004, 09:38 AM

Irish,

It may take a while before he gets his affairs in order...
Old 11-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Cynic Emeritus

Lixy Lixy,

Always make me smile.
I do know all about the electoral college. And I think there needs to be some compromise between that and the popular vote. Such as dividing the electoral vote according to percentage of actual votes won in that state.

I agree religion shouldn't be a main component of the presidency. Just as I think abortion and gay marriage as well. But both sides play by the same rules and would do anything to win. (Such as trotting Ashton Kuchar out on the day before the election - talk about a bad strategy.)

I could go on forever. Let's agree to disagree and wait for the real battle in 2008: Hillary Clinton vs. Rudolph Guilianni

How much money would be spent in that campaign?

See ya.

"Women, you can't live with them ... pass the beer nuts." - Norm Peterson (George Wednt) on Cheers

"Sometimes you just have to say, what the fuck." - Tom Cruise in Risky Business

"It tastes so good. Once it hits your lips." - Frank the Tank in Old School
Old 11-05-2004, 10:36 AM

LixyChick,

I’m with you – sorta…

Quote:
Originally Posted by LixyChick
…let's not forget the votes that were tossed out or not counted due to "sufficient" numbers for the candidate to win that electorate vote! What I think this all boils down to is...if they ask people to come out and vote, and they come out in droves as they did in this election, all votes should be counted and used to decide…

I checked the Ohio Secretary of State page for the presidential race,

http://election.sos.state.oh.us/res...ry.aspx?race=PP

and the vote count difference between the two candidates is greater than the total number of provisional ballots issued - at least as of this posting.

http://election.sos.state.oh.us/ProvBallots.htm

With that in mind, it does seem reasonable to declare the winner before all the provisional ballots are counted. Not that the provisional ballots should not be counted, just that even if they were all valid, and none were votes for President Bush, the results would remain unchanged. I suspect that the same is true in states like New York, California, and Pennsylvania, where, no matter how long it takes to count any and all provisional and absentee ballots, the state would still declare for Senator Kerry.

I checked the Iowa Secretary of State page for the presidential race,

http://www.sos.state.ia.us/pdfs/ele...nvasResults.pdf

and it appears to be provisional, not official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LixyChick
I don't care for the electoral system as the final decision.

There are many people who’ll agree with you on that one! As it will take an amendment to the Federal Constitution to change it, that will be a tough nut to crack.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:55 PM

Question

JSeal---You mean that, I shouldn't hold my breath,waiting for Soros to enter
a monestary?
CK---I just heard on Talk Radio,that it might be Hilliary vs C Rice!They said
that,among other things,he is pro-gun control & also Pro-choice,so that they
would probably lose the religious vote.As a (former)hunter,I thought that the
goose hunt looked rediculous.So did the other hunters that I know. Irish
Old 11-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Pixie since 9/3/2001

How about Hilliary vs Jeb Bush????
:grin:

Lixy if the Electoral College System were not used the candidates would only have to win in 10(ten) states and the other 40 would not even have to vote. If the candidate could win the top 10 states in population they would not need a single vote in the other 40.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Lost without a compass.

Send a message via Yahoo to Mercury_Maniac
i was pretty disappointed with the outcome myself,

i guess i don't consider myself republican or democratic,

but see my signature for what i think of the lesser of the 2