Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Manwhore

Household items may save millions with cervical cancer

(SF)

Original Story Here

Associated Press

LONDON — A cheap method to detect cervical cancer using vinegar, cotton gauze and a bright light could save millions of women in the developing world, experts reported Friday.

The study, published in The Lancet medical journal, found a simple visual screening test to look for the early signs of cervical cancer reduced the numbers of cases by a quarter.

"This is a landmark study," said Dr. Harshad Sanghvi, medical director at JHPIEGO, an international health organization affiliated with Johns Hopkins University. Sanghvi had no connection with to the Lancet study.

Cervical cancer is largely preventable. It causes about 250,000 deaths every year and is the second-most common cancer in women. Nearly 80 percent of those women are in the developing world.

The visual screening test is done by a nurse or trained health care worker who washes a woman's cervix with vinegar and gauze, using a speculum to hold it open.

After one minute, any precancerous lesions turn very white and can be seen with the naked eye under a halogen lamp.

Researchers from the International Agency for Research on Cancer in France and their colleagues from Tamil Nadu in India used the technique to screen 49,311 women in Dindigul district, India, from 2000 to 2003.

When precancerous lesions were found, health care workers gave immediate treatment to destroy the abnormal cervical tissue.

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these
Old 08-03-2007, 02:38 PM
is not this trim anymore!

If this is true, I'm glad there is an inexpensive and reliable method for early detection. I just espected something a little more...um...advanced?

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

Complete surrender should not just come at moments in which one faces overwhelming odds, but in the calm when it seems one is personally in complete control of one's life.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:04 AM
As sweet as they cum

Vinegar... oh my!

My Pics

A BIT OF A NYMPH... APPARANTLY