Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Everybody Stretch!

One Step Forward...Alito Steps Backward...our country recedes????

Supreme Court Ch Ch Ch Ch Changes...turn and face the strain?

What are your feelings on "Women's Rights"? Roe vs. Wade? The Supreme Court? The retirement of Ms. O"Connor? The placement of Mr. Alito? Mrs. Alito's breakdown as Judge Alito was questioned by the Democratic party?

And finally...

What good or bad will befall us upon his appointment?

Add anything that is on your mind!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 01-18-2006, 06:26 PM

LixyChick,

Should Mr. Alito be confirmed, the court will become a bit more conservative.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:48 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Which I would prefer does not happen^^^ If they try to take away my rights I will fight them any way I can.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 01-18-2006, 08:02 PM

Yep. One difficulty is that Federal judges hold their positions for life. I think we’ll be better off changing where they are nominated and confirmed.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:31 AM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
What are your feelings on "Women's Rights"? jeepers that's a tricky, convoluted, multifaceted thing but i'll keep it short. since they needed to make it a law in the first place, then i believe they should have afforded men those same rights. if a woman knows who the father is, he needs to be notified. (of course, i realize that there is no way to tell if a woman is lying when she says she doesn't know but still, they left them (men) out of it completely.) i feel the same way about minors, parents should be notified. exceptions to both cases would be emergency life-saving situations

Roe vs. Wade? it still amazes me we actually needed a law.

The Supreme Court? it is a necessity, and an extremely important part of our govn’t.

The retirement of Ms. O"Connor? i wish she would have waited a few more years, but it’s her life.

The placement of Mr. Alito? only time will tell

Mrs. Alito's breakdown as Judge Alito was questioned by the Democratic party? boo-hoo. didn’t get much sympathy from me. buck up, lady.

And finally...

What good or bad will befall us upon his appointment?
no clue. again, only time will tell

Add anything that is on your mind! * drools *

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 01-19-2006, 09:26 PM
With all due respect

Send a message via Yahoo to fredchabotnick
My feelings are that this is just another step towards the far religious right. My problem with this is simply that many of them feel that their beliefs should be the beliefs of everyone, and are taking steps to legislate it that way. My feelings on this are simple, if you feel something is wrong, don't do it. Don't make it illegal or try to control it.

But that's just me.

"A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to himself." - Guildenstern, “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead”
Old 01-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Banned

It's the same way with our Supreme Court & I think it gives the gov't too much power. Bush has been able to nominate two? three? judges now? Same with the papacy. When are we ever going to see a liberal pope?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Insatiable

What are your feelings on "Women's Rights"? I think the biggest body of work left is in the workplace (inequalities in pay, opportunities for advancement, work/family flex, etc.)

Roe vs. Wade? I think it is legalized murder though I do believe there are circumstances where it should be permitted.

The Supreme Court? A generally wise institution.

The retirement of Ms. O'Connor? Good luck and long life to her. And many thanks for her service to our country.

The placement of Mr. Alito? Too early to tell yet.

Mrs. Alito's breakdown as Judge Alito was questioned by the Democratic party? She should have been prepared for the rough questioning her husband was going to get.

What good or bad will befall us upon his appointment? Too early to tell yet.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:05 AM
Just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph
When are we ever going to see a liberal pope?

Makes me think of Lincoln's response when asked if he thought God was on the Union's side in the civil war. His response, "I just hope we're on His."

Point, I wouldn't hope for either a liberal or a conservative pope, only one that, to the best of his ability, attempts to communicates what he believes is God's intent. Same is true for religious leaders of all faiths.

Roe v Wade ... I was sympathic at the time of the ruling, but it concerns me that over 50 million new lives have been done away with and that we continue to lose over 3,000 new lives each day. It also concerns me that I've read of significant numbers of post abortion complications ... physical and psychological for the ladies that have undergone abortions ... including many deaths. I read that the Center for Disease Control has said that the abortion death rate increases 40 to 60 percent per week for each week of delay after the eighth week. These never seem to get reported by the mainstream press. In a European study, almost 25% of the women who "interrupt their first pregnancy" have remained permanently childless. It also troubles me that suicide rates for women who have had abortions is many times higher than for those that carry their babies to term.

I wish there were more emphasis on the harm we may be doing to women without giving them all the information to let them make informed decisions and more focus on making all medical procedures safer. I think it's a sin when we hurt people and then hide the hurt.

Does this mean I'm pro-life. I guess it does, but, more than that ... I think we need to have really open and honest discussions of what's happening. Too many lives are being lost and too many people hurt to assume there's nothing here worth discussing.

And, on Alito. It's interesting that two of three rulings he has made upheld the RvW. I really think as a judge on the Supreme Court, his task is to rule on the constitutionality of issue at hand, not to make new policy. It troubles me whenever a judge displays an activist agenda because his/her rulings than can become law without any vote. I keep thinking creating laws is supposedly the reason we have congress.

Last edited by dicksbro : 01-20-2006 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Made in England

I would love to comment here but since I am trying to come to terms with the three stooges vying for the opportunity to form our next government I must button my lip and move on......AND bite my tongue lol
Old 01-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksbro
Makes me think of Lincoln's response when asked if he thought God was on the Union's side in the civil war. His response, "I just hope we're on His."

Point, I wouldn't hope for either a liberal or a conservative pope, only one that, to the best of his ability, attempts to communicates what he believes is God's intent. Same is true for religious leaders of all faiths.

LOL DB, I heard that quote the other day, too. Great one!

I am Catholic born & bred and but all I wish is that condoms are permitted (OK, that's not all but that's the big one for me).
Old 01-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Manwhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph
LOL DB, I heard that quote the other day, too. Great one!

I am Catholic born & bred and but all I wish is that condoms are permitted (OK, that's not all but that's the big one for me).

I completely agree with that Steph.

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these
Old 01-20-2006, 04:11 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksbro

Roe v Wade ... I was sympathic at the time of the ruling, but it concerns me that over 50 million new lives have been done away with and that we continue to lose over 3,000 new lives each day. It also concerns me that I've read of significant numbers of post abortion complications ... physical and psychological for the ladies that have undergone abortions ... including many deaths.

I would think that if the numbers were truly that significant for a procedure that by your figures is done 3,000 time a day in America there would be a bigger outcry by insurance and other health care initiatives. I personally have only heard the dangers of abortion pointed out those who are pro life, never a neutral organization.

As for parental notification, I walk the fence here because as a parent I feel I have the right to know but as a child advocate I know that some young women who become pregnant have been the victims of incest and in that case the parent should be relieved of all decision making, without it taking an injunction to have that happen.

Father's rights, another line... if a father is given the right to know prior and have a say in whether the woman can abort then could that be flipped to where a pregant woman could be taken to court to force her to have an abortion if the father chose NOT to have the baby or could he be excused from providing support if he would have preferred the woman abort?

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 01-20-2006, 04:37 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
interesting point lil. imho ... NEVER should any woman be forced to have an abortion. the father could, instead, be required to legally give up any claim to the child and yes, not be required to provide support.

your concerns regarding victims of incest are totally legit and i wish there was a way to wave a wand and determine who is a fit parent and who isn’t. however, there are no other circumstances where they withhold medical info from parents, abortion should be no different. it would make it hard for child advocates like yourself to help the victim make that decision, i know, but to make it illegal or unnecessary to notify parents essentially takes away parent's rights. and for those of us who would never hurt our children, it’s a real slap in the face. it just doesn’t seem to me that we (parents) should lose rights across the board because it would make it easier for legal purposes.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 01-20-2006, 04:42 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

I know...and I agree basically, it's just one of those places where I can't make my heart and mind both agree on a position.

I think if we start allowing men to avoid support by simply saying they don't/didn't want the child we will be in a world of hurt.

~>My Scribbles<~