Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

Last (?) Word in the Duke Scandal

URL:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070411...hRShzjuboWs0NUE

Text:
Duke charges expected to be dropped By AARON BEARD, Associated Press Writer 4 minutes ago

RALEIGH, N.C. - Prosecutors have decided to drop all charges against three Duke lacrosse players accused of sexual assaulting a stripper at a team party, a person close to the case told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

The North Carolina Attorney General's office, which took over the case in January after the local district attorney was accused of ethics violations, said it would have an announcement on the case at 2:30 p.m.

Prosecutors did not say what the announcement would be.

The sensational case had been troubled almost from the start after DNA samples found no link to any of the Duke lacrosse players and the accuser's story about what happened that night began to change. The person who talked to the AP, speaking on condition of anonymity because a formal announcement had not been made, did not say why state prosecutors decided to drop the charges.

Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and David Evans were indicted last spring on charges of rape, kidnapping and sexual offense after the woman told police she was assaulted at a lacrosse team party where she had been hired to perform as a stripper.

The allegations at first outraged the Raleigh/Durham community — the woman is black and attended nearby North Carolina Central University; all three Duke players are white. But that anger largely shifted to Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong as his evidence against the three fell apart and questions surfaced about the accuser.

Nifong, who was away from his Durham office Wednesday, has been charged by the state bar with ethics violations connected to his handling of the case and could face disbarment.

From its earliest days, Nifong had driven the investigation. The 28-year-old woman initially said she was gang-raped and beaten by three white men at the March 13, 2006, party thrown by Duke's highly ranked lacrosse team.

The three indicted players' insisted the accusations were "fantastic lies," and another dancer who had been with the woman also questioned if she had been raped.

At the end, it appeared the case was based only on the testimony of the accuser, whom defense attorneys said had told wildly different versions of the alleged assault.

That shifting story led Nifong to drop the rape charges in December, but the other charges remained.

Nifong's recusal in January put the players' fate in the hands of North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper, who promised "a fresh and thorough review of the facts."

The North Carolina State Bar charged Nifong with making misleading and inflammatory comments about the athletes under suspicion. It later added more serious offenses of withholding evidence from defense attorneys and lying to the court and bar investigators. He stands trial on those charges in June.

Nifong had accused the team of refusing to cooperate, calling them "a bunch of hooligans," and promised DNA evidence would finger the guilty. His case started to erode, though, when no DNA evidence tying any player to the accuser.

The players largely cooperated with police, and the defense later said a series of tests Nifong ordered from a private lab found genetic material from several men on the accuser's underwear and body, but none from any member of the Duke lacrosse team.

Attorneys for the three men had been expecting the announcement.

Seligmann, 21, of Essex Fells, N.J., and his family arrived at Raleigh-Durham International Airport on Tuesday, and attorney Wade Smith said the Finnerty family was also expected to arrive later Tuesday from their home in Garden City, N.Y.

"We are not going to have any expectations until we hear officially," Smith said. "When we get the word, we'll have the word."

Evans' attorney, Joseph Cheshire, declined to comment when asked if his client was planning to be in Raleigh.

Evans, 24, of Bethesda, Md., graduated the day before he was indicted in May.

Duke temporarily suspended sophomores Finnerty and Seligmann in the wake of their arrest. Both were invited to return to campus, but neither has accepted. John Danowski, the former coach at Hofstra who took over the Duke program last summer, has also said that both are welcome to continue their lacrosse careers with the Blue Devils.

Danowski said he had moved the team's afternoon practice to Wednesday night so his players could attend a planned defense news conference with their former teammates.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:17 PM

The last word? I think we will see lawsuits from the players who were falsely charged.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:50 PM

A very disappointing example of how the coercive power of the state can be misused.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Tells it all

Mike Nifong should be disbarred all he used this case for was to get elected.

Live Life, hearses don't come with luggage racks.
The second mouse always gets the cheese
Old 04-11-2007, 09:10 PM

That is such a bad deal for those Duke kids.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Leo was right

I see where Nifong apologized to the three young men today. Good try buddy.

I'm with Winston, that guy should be disbarred.

No love, no friendship, can cross the path of our destiny without leaving some mark on it forever. ~~ Francois Mocuriac

Confucius say, "He who masturbate into cash register come into money."

An optimist looks at the glass and says it's half full. A pessimist looks at the glass and says it's half empty. A Cubs fan looks at the glass and says, "When's it gonna spill?"

Deus Impetitio Esuritori Nullus
Old 04-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Just me.

I agree. The bum (Nifong) deserves whatever he gets (and probably more).
Old 04-12-2007, 06:58 PM
single, pert and firm!

Send a message via MSN to Emzo
Being English, i have no idea what any of this is about.

And darkness overcame until she screamed alone in vain.
Oh how lovely as she gasps, yet so innocently sleeping.
Bullet to the head... soon you'll be sleeping
Pull this trigger to your antidote
She had the eyes of an angel with a heart like a traitor
We always knew you'd go up in flames
We always you'd go out with a bang

Old 04-12-2007, 07:47 PM

Emzo,

You may recall that a few – 5 to 10 – years ago, a medical examiner in, I believe, the north of the UK came to the conclusion that several of the schoolchildren she had examined in the course of a routine school medical exam had been abused.

The children were, upon her legal authority, sent to temporary foster care.

When the mother and/or father came to school to pick their child up that afternoon, they were referred by the school staff to a Social Services representative who advised them that their child had been placed in temporary foster care “for the child’s safety”. One can only imagine how they felt.

I’m not making this up.

Eventually, of course, this mistake was resolved and the children were returned to their parents and homes. The medical examiner/practitioner was not prosecuted, because, under the laws at that time, she had the statutory authority to act as she did.

With authority comes responsibility, and unfortunately from time to time, the system breaks down. It breaks down worse sometimes than other times.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Pixie since 9/3/2001

I think there should be a lot more people apologizing. I can think of a couple men of the cloth to start with.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Pixies Flirt

Send a message via AIM to 1nutworld
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow
I think there should be a lot more people apologizing. I can think of a couple men of the cloth to start with.

That wouldn't be the same men of the cloth who have been in OTHER, more recently racially motivated issues would it?
Old 04-13-2007, 03:35 PM
is not this trim anymore!

I had a long talk with my oldest son about this whole case, and the tone of it was essentially "you are who you hang with...kids who are acting respectfully and responsibly aren't as likely to be put in this kind of terrible situation".

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

Complete surrender should not just come at moments in which one faces overwhelming odds, but in the calm when it seems one is personally in complete control of one's life.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Pixie since 9/3/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nutworld
That wouldn't be the same men of the cloth who have been in OTHER, more recently racially motivated issues would it?

If you are thinking of AS & JJ, yes it is them.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to rzande1 Send a message via MSN to rzande1 Send a message via Yahoo to rzande1
Those two are total hypacrites. They get away with social murder every day. Their saying someone is guilty is hugely a sign that people will believe anything. LOL if I was one of those students I would call for as to be fired from his radio show lol. Same with jj and rainbow push. You think that would be justice? An eye for an eye.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Pixies Flirt

Send a message via AIM to 1nutworld
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIrish
I had a long talk with my oldest son about this whole case, and the tone of it was essentially "you are who you hang with...kids who are acting respectfully and responsibly aren't as likely to be put in this kind of terrible situation".

Not trying to mix topic's here but you don't suppose that SOMEONE in Pacman Jone's camp might not be giving HIM that same talk do you?