PDA

View Full Version : Problems w/ Webcam!!!

Dominatra
05-27-2002, 08:46 PM
Alright guys, I need your help...

finally got my webcam in (big smile)...but something is wrong and I can't seem to get it to work (big frown) NOW before you all go calling me computer illiterate and all, I did install everything correctly (i think)...but i don't think it's recognizing the plug-in to the port in the back, (DSB port? something like that) do i have to go under "install new hardware"?? ack, this is frustrating -- please help!!

Nice Guy
05-28-2002, 01:48 AM
Most new systems have what is called a plug and play feature which means it knows when it gets new hardware added and immediatly starts looking for the proper programs. My suggestion is to uninstall the program and unplug the camera. Then reset the system. Then plug the camera in while it is booting up. It should ask for the program for the cam when it finishes booting. Then just install. Hopefully that works. And I can't wait to see you.

MilkToast
05-28-2002, 06:55 AM
Dominatra,
what operating system is your PC running? Windows95? Windows98? Windows ME? Windows 2000? Windows XP? maybe it's a MAC?

There might be a clue in that as well... some of the older versions of windows required that you install the USB drivers independendtly from the operating system. Only the newer flavors of Windows do this in a more transparent fashion.

Just for completeness... how old is the PC?

scorpi42
05-28-2002, 01:45 PM
ill put my bit in if it is on a usb port some machines you need to load the drivers then shut the machine down then plug the camera in and restart the system my friend had the same problem with a printer and it is now working as far as i know only windows 95 and 98 1ST edition require seperate drivers for usb's

love_2licku
05-28-2002, 01:48 PM
Dunno if you did it this way or not, but with most USB devices, you have to install the disk that it cums with first..restart, then when the computer is up and running, insert the device in your hole err i mean the computer port. It should detect it from there. Then load up the program that came with the cam if it has one and adjust settings. I went with Sony because they are well trusted and mine was only 70 bucks. Hope this helps. Send me an IM if you wanna chat and maybe I can help ya more with the cam. Or just IM me even if ya get it to work ;)

Aqua
05-28-2002, 02:24 PM
Make sure the cam is securely plugged into the USB port and then insert the CD-ROM that should have come with the cam and it 'should' bring up a window with options of installing the cam. As Milktoast stated though, there could be different problems depending on the Operating System ( OS ), whether it's WIndows 95, or 98, or a MAC. Keep us updated or PM if you need to, we are eagerly awaiting some pics from you!!!

Dominatra
05-28-2002, 02:42 PM
The computer uses Windows 98 -- if that helps any....

thanks for the suggestiongs guys -- hope it works!!

Aqua
05-28-2002, 02:58 PM
One thing to check for is USB support. Right click on 'My Computer' and then left click on properties. Go to the Second tab which is Device Manager. At the bottom of the list you should see 'Universal Serial Bus controllers'. I uploaded a screenshot of what you should see... If it doesn't have that in the list, you need to load USB drivers before the cam will work. Hope this helps!

baddie_simon
06-22-2002, 12:41 PM
Hell is having a cam that doesnt work in this particular computer. I have a Intel cam that works fine on my old computer, but on this piece of shit, it causes the whole system to crash. As it's not actually my computer, I can't reinstall windoze... This sucks.. I can take video but not actual interactive cam. If you think Im frustrated, should see how annoyed my cyberbabe is. She's a good sport though, and her cam works fine!

acepen
10-07-2005, 05:51 PM
I will come over and install it for you

bare4you
10-07-2005, 06:03 PM
I've found that if you plug in the camera before you install the software, sometimes the computer has difficulty. Best to install the software first and then plug in the camera when the installation program tells you to.

Best to uninstall the software before you try again though.

dicksbro
10-08-2005, 03:35 AM
I know this sounds crazy, but did you check on the cam's box to be sure it will work with Windows 98? I had to upgrade to Windows XP when I purchased a copy of Word only to learn it wouldn't run under ME. Silly me. :(

Lilith
10-08-2005, 08:52 AM
This thread is 3 years old....I'll bet she's got it figured out by now :D

Winston77
10-08-2005, 05:38 PM
This thread is 3 years old....I'll bet she's got it figured out by now :D
It may be true that the thread is 3 yrs old but I can't get my web cam up and running so I'll try all the above sugestions :spank: :spank: