Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2004, 01:57 AM
Starry-eyed Pixie

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaKyttn
Target Stores

Last night we were watching Whos Line is it Anyway...... and the 700 club came on afterwards and we couldn't find the remote.... hey we were all snuggled down in our bed! and they were going on about Target stores not allowing bell ringers (Salvation army with help for the homless/less fortunate etc) They were outraged that it was an ANTI christian thing when Target has a no solicitation policy that they waived for Salvation army in the past but since making that exception thay've had other non-profit ppl throw fits over not being allowed to hit ppl up for donations. They were calling a boycott on Target just because they're going back and saying "if we can't do it for everyone we won't do it for anyone."

Personally I'm on a shoestring, I give what I can when I can and when I see these people out begging for donations (representitives not the folks in need themselves) I run the other way. I went to catholic schools, I know about the knights of columbus sellin tootsie rolls, and I was a girl Scout...... but I avoid wal-mart during daylight (brfore midnight) hours just to stay away from having to fumble some "I'm poor too" excuse yeah I have a car and a house and pets and a job but if they knew how far up my ass I am in debt maybe they would give me that money instead.

I know this might upset some of the people in our pixie family but I just can't believe that the 700 club folks with their just so hair, brand new suits and grand lives they seem to live are telling us to boycott a store because they maintain their policies completely and fairly so no one is discriminted for or against.

as an aside

my girlfriend and I (yeah yeah lesbians) were having a fight earlier and I told her "Maybe we should find a religon you know the same one together" she said "what?" "You know join together under god to fight the evils of satan and homosexuality...."
End fight

Kyttn
Old 11-21-2004, 08:42 AM
Huggable!

I have to agree with you Kyttn. Our local Stop & Shop has 2 entrances and they put 'bell ringers' and all the rest of 'em at one door. I find I use the other door most of the time just to avoid the collectors.

There are a few organizations I always give to but even then, if I make my donation early in the season I feel ackward walking by without giving anything all the times to follow. And if I say 'I already gave', it feels like they're thinking 'yeah sure ya did lady'.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:13 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
I will not boycott a company that is fair and says all or none. What I will boycott is a company that says...we think you are worthy but you are not. I honestly believe that rules should be the same for everyone...maybe that's my Democratic equality streak showing but it's how I feel. I will not boycott Target because they do not allow solicitation, in fact I may only shop there. I will not boycott Disney because they host homosexual events there, in fact I may go more often. When someone tells me where to shop, what entertainment is proper, and who to vote for based on their religious agenda that is when they have overstepped their boundaries in my life.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 11-21-2004, 09:54 AM
satisfactionisaguarantee

I'm not religious,but have learned (despite my support of science) that when I talk to people who are religious, that I have a lot of respect for them. I have tried to turn my thoughts of hate( yea it got to be like that at one point...long story) into a respect now that I've read into Buddhism more. While I like to sa I"m not religious, yoga can be a ver spiritual exercise and Buddhism at least helps you learn and teaches you how to respect everyone elses beliefs.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:24 AM
~a little bit naughty~

Well I am a Christian and I won't boycott Target either. Not that I shop there much anyway. I agree with Lilith that if the store has clear rules and wants to stick to them then that is their right. They can't be expected to pick and choose who is worthy to ask for money outside their doors.

You know many people have a big problem with Wal-Mart too and I have no intention of boycotting them ever either. I don't have that luxury on my income.

Owning Pita, by my JassWolf!!
My Story~ Friday Night Spanking
Old 11-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Loungin' Around

I am a bit torn about what to say on this issue. I am not particularly religious ~ I was raised Catholic and I am sure that scarred me for life ~ and I certainly wouldn't boycott a store because they applied a policy consistently. I *like* visiting Target (although I only do it about once every other month). I also happen to really dislike the bell-ringers.....I often don't carry cash and I resent that they make me feel guilty. I give to several causes in various ways ~ some money and some with time ~ and the Salvation Army is not on my short list.

Here's the BUT....

I tend to think that we in America are too complacent. Maybe it has something to do with being well-fed and having heat. Most of us don't pursue causes and "fight for what we believe in." I find many Americans to be politically and socially unaware....and I think that's a damn shame. So....I would never want to silence the voice of the 700 Club....or those who decided to boycott....in the hopes that the social awareness "bug" might infect those people and they would begin to become more active in their communities.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 11-21-2004, 12:14 PM
satisfactionisaguarantee

i do want to say though...that I do give to a lot of charities when I have the money (not just the environmental ones! hehe) and especially around this time I do..I try to push aside all my thoughts on religion except the respect I"m trying to establish..after all as Osuche said I have food and heat..ya know?
I've seen the hardships people can go through (having been to bad parts of Costa Rica, Nicaragua etc.) and dealt with people a lot worse off than myself....it really makes you think. This is why when there is some trivial issue going on I stop and say "you know...there are people living in cardboard boxes, and you're upset b/c....." it is harsh, but true! I truly believe Americans are sheltered by this, and since I am also American I feel I have the right to give my honest opinion. Amen to Osuche for her point of view, I couldn't have said it better!