Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2005, 04:07 PM
gurly gurl

Question Gallbladder Problems

Ok, so this isn't a "sexual" thread--but just looking to see if anyone's had a problem with their gallbladder.

I haven't been feeling well at all lately, worse in the past couple weeks. As soon as I eat, it comes right back up. You'd think I'd be dropping the pounds, but not really.

I had an ultrasound on my liver and gallbladder which showed abnormalities on my gallbladder and then sent to have a nuclear medicine scan done which took 90 minutes. The tech snuck and told me it was abnormal. The nurse finally called and told me the same thing and are referring me to a surgeon.

The past few nights I have been in a lot of pain and this morning woke up shakey and instantly sick after eating a small bite for breakfast and had to lay back down. Crying, not much about the pain, but of being sick of living like this.

I have noticed that when I feel stressed I think it's worse. I hardly eat anything anymore in fear of getting sick.

This is really really really getting me down. I don't know how much more I can take.

Sorry to be such a drag. Just looking for advise I guess.

Hugs
Old 02-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Suprise Me

Sweetie... let me tell ya.... I know exactly what you mean.

Mine doesn't act up all the time though. I had what I thought was a heart attack the pain was so bad. Went into the emergency room - had heart tests, stayed overnight...the tests came back negative (thank God for that). My doc wanted me to have an ultra sound. Had that... that showed spots on my kidney and gall bladder. He scheduled me for a CT scan... the kind with the ink injected into you.. (that was a blast actually... made my privates tingle..heheh)

Anyway.. that test came back abnormal.. I have polyps in my gall bladder and a cyst on my kidney. The attacks that I have aren't regular.. don't know what kind of food I can eat or not eat.. I just try and then eliminate those foods that give me an attack. So far chocolate, pistachios, spicy or fried I stay away from....

You, however, appear more severe than I do....and I would really discuss with your doc about getting your gall-bladder taken out! I know a lot of women and a few members of Pixies who have had it done.. and they are very very thankful that they did.

You don't need your gallbladder actually...it does have some function in the digestive department, but if you cook a certain way and watch what you eat you shouldn't have any more problems after you have it taken it out. Also, the surgery isn't invasive.. they make small incisions and fill you up with gas and take it out. The women who I know that had it taken out only stayed in the hopsital overnight and one did it early in the morning and went home that same day...

Last edited by Cheyanne : 02-06-2005 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Boogeritis....again!
Old 02-06-2005, 05:01 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
I had mine removed laproscopically about 4-5 years ago after having problems since I was 17. Fat, flatuent, and 40 (the doctor's guiding gallbladder saying), didn't fit me then so DRs. never checked. I never get sick anymore after years of hanging over a commode all night. My entire outlook on life inproved.It was a super easy procedure. I didn't even take pain meds after. You don't even get stitches anymore they just superglue the puncture sites where the tools and scope enter. Do not hesitate, do not worry. I have never met a soul sorry they had it removed. ((hugs))

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 02-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Wishful Thinker

Send a message via ICQ to BigBear57 Send a message via MSN to BigBear57 Send a message via Yahoo to BigBear57
I'm sorry you've been ill. I've known several people who've had the surgery too... no horror stories to report. I'll certainly keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Get well soon Sweetie!

Love is not looking in each other's eyes, but looking together in the same direction - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
Old 02-06-2005, 07:02 PM
~getting by~

I've had mine removed, about 4 or 5 years ago as well. I was having horrible pains in my side. The dr wasn't sure what it was as the pains were typically during my sleep and so severe they woke me up and felt as though someone was sticking a knife in my side that hit my spinal cord and then the pain radiated up and down my spine. I never was sick just in a lot of pain. My dr suspected it was my gallbladder although the pain wasn't during the time spans she expected it to be. I was placed a diet that contained ZERO fat for two weeks and then met with my dr again to discuss if I felt any better. When I wasn't feeling better and still having the pains during the two weeks of ZERO fat, I was scheduled for an ultrasound. The ultrasound revealed that my gallbladder was full of stones.

I don't know what abnormalities are that you speak of, but it was explained to me that my stones are actually deposits of cholestorol. The gallbladder releases an enzyme during the digestion process to aide in the digestion of fat. This is why they tried the fat free diet. In theory if I wasn't eating fat, the gallbladder shouldn't be trying to escrete the enzyme along with a stone or two that was essentially clogging the tract causing the pain. I also learned based upon questions from my dr how I developed the stones as I was about 25 when I had this happen. I had been on some "herbal/vitamin" diet medication. She was telling me that when you go through rapid weight loss typically aided by some form of medicine (prescription or otherwise) the body can't rid it's self of the cholestrol fast enough and it forms deposits in the gallbladder. Not that you will find that as a warning on the side of any diet aide!!!

Anyway, I had mine removed laproscopicly as well (completed as outpatient, was home the same day after waking from anesthetic and successfully drinking something in the hospital). It was three small incisions, outpatient surgery, and I had stitches, though they were all internally (below the skin) that disolved and didn't require removal. The recovery was rather brief, though I was off of work for two weeks, after one I felt well enough to return ... but dr orders. The first 24 hours were the roughest, mostly because of the anesthetic and the gas that they fill your abdomen with to remove the gallbladder through a tiny one inch incision. I was on pain medication, but only took one pill as it made me feel sick and the thought of being sick with a pained abdomen was less than thrilling. I choose pain over sickness.

My recommendations to you if you have surgery, have it as early in the day as possible, be prepared for difficulty sleeping the first few days if you are a side sleeper, even when sleeping on the opposite side, I felt a pulling sensation. Also, my bed sits quite high, it was hard to get in and out as the muscles you would use are in your abdomen and were quite sore. Walk! you will have some gas left in you from the procedure, and this is the only way to efficiently make that gas move out of your body. Lastly, when you cough or sneeze grab a pillow and hug it tight, it relieves the pressure on the incisions.

For a period of time I had difficulty eating, learning what would make me feel ill or not. That is all gone now, with the exception of when I'm feeling a lot of stress, then it seems like no matter what I eat I feel sick. So I try to keep my stress in check (as we all should anyway) and I'm much better off.

Hopefully your dr will find the best solution, but please don't stress if they decide to do surgery, it really is not bad. Promise!

(((iwm)))
Old 02-06-2005, 07:49 PM

Okay, I REALLLLLLLLLY hope that I don't scare you by saying all this.

Having said that, my mom got her's removed about 3 years ago. Since then she has chronic diareha. She can't even eat out in public because she's too embarassed about being in the bathroom more than at the table.

She's never been in good health and to be honest I think she's just wearing out and at the point where she's creaking and cracking all over. I'm glad to hear that my mother is the abnormality and wish you the best of luck