Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2004, 10:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
Thumbs up Makes Sense!

THE LAW IS THE LAW

So, if the US government determines it is against the law for the words "Under God" to be on our money, then, so be it.

And if that same Government decides the "Ten Commandments" are not to be used in or on a Government installation, then, so be it.

And since they already have prohibited any prayer in the schools, on which they deem their authority, then so be it. I say, "so be it," because I am a law abiding US citizen.

I say, "so be it," because I would like to think smarter people, than I, are in positions to make good decisions.

I would like to think those people have the American People's best interests at heart.

BUT, YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE I'D LIKE?

Since we can't pray to God, can't Trust in God, and cannot Post His Commandments in Government buildings, I don't believe the Government, and it's employees, should participate in the Easter and Christmas celebrations which honor the God our Government is eliminating from so many facets of American life.

I'd like my mail delivered on Christmas, Good Friday and Easter. After all, it's just another day.

I'd like the US Supreme Court to be in session on Christmas, Good Friday and Easter, as well as Sundays. After all, it's just another day.

I'd like the Senate and the House of Representatives not have to worry about getting home for the "Christmas Break." After all it's just another day.

I'm thinking a lot of my taxpayer dollars could be saved if all government offices & services would work on Christmas, Good Friday, and Easter.

It shouldn't cost any overtime since those would be just like any other day of the week, to this government trying to be "politically correct."

In fact...I think our government should work on Sundays (initially set aside for worshiping God...) because, after all, our government says it should be just another day.

What do you all think?

If this idea gets to enough people, maybe our elected officials will stop giving in to the minority opinions and begin, once again, to represent the majority of ALL of the American people.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:31 PM
Loungin' Around

I think we should celebrate all the Christian holidays...and all the Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, Seikh, etc.... holidays as well. And I want them all to be paid time off.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 08-13-2004, 05:33 AM
I make sexytime with you

..so make them secular holidays, officially. That's what they amount to for most people. If you want to celebrate them religiously, great.

I was thinking about this idea over this easter: How about anyone who is working gets a certain number of days off each year, seperate from any other such entitlement, legally protected. If you want to observe a religious feast of some sort, you use one of those days. If you're not religious, use them for whatever you want - use them to affirm your lack of religion, if you wish.
I want to do something that matters
Old 08-14-2004, 09:57 AM
a-dick-ted to oz

Send a message via Yahoo to kathy1
Irish,
In my humble redneck opinion, for politicians to do anything that remotely resembles common sense seems almost an impossibility. Can't say I have much faith in any of 'em. Can't say I think they're worth what they get paid either.....even most of the foolish governmental spending doesn't bother me half as much as knowing what kind of money they make. I truly do wonder how many aspirations for office would be squelched if the pay was substantially less. Maybe only the ones with true ideals would wind up in office then.

So, to answer your question of what I think.....well, obviously if they worked on religious holidays....whether it were a Christian holiday or any other.....that would seriously cut into they're self serving ways....now do you really think that's gonna happen?

Oh wait....I used the word "work"....my mistake.

<<<<< how appropriate for how i feel about what the politicians do to us every day......and we all keep smiling about it just like that lil guy!!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 10:01 AM
Just want to enjoy life!

I totaly agree!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.
E. E. Cummings

My Pictures

Picture requests

As Promised
Old 08-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Missing the Angels

I agree Irish

Cobalt that is one sexy AV ya got.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:12 PM
Ethical Epicurean

Send a message via AIM to lakritze Send a message via Yahoo to lakritze
I celebrate,observe or at least get into the spirit of every holiday including Kwanzza,Winter/Summer Solstice and 12/26...the birthday of the great American writer Henry Miller.It is a pity that in a polarized country such as ours that battles over religion or even the existence of God has to take on such rediculious extremes.On one side you have the people who want to take "UNDER GOD" out of the Pledge of Alligence and never to be out done by the other side,we have some nut wanting to install a 2 ton monument of the Ten Commandments on Federal property.I think we need to remember that our freedom of religion allowes us to worship as we choose,but it does not allow for anyone to expect that our government become a proving ground or a show case for our beliefs.For that you will have to go to Saudi Arabia or Iran.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:49 PM
I make sexytime with you

Or, we could always celebrate Easter and Christmas as the pagan festivals they always were.

Also, are you sure any form of prayer is illegal in public schools? Are you telling me that in a public school, if a student is caught praying, they're going to be disciplined?
Old 08-14-2004, 11:48 PM
~a little bit naughty~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial

Also, are you sure any form of prayer is illegal in public schools? Are you telling me that in a public school, if a student is caught praying, they're going to be disciplined?

A student has the right to pray to themselves at public school. They also may have group get together. Like the national pray at the flag pole that are held every year at many public schools. There are many other rights they have also.

What is illegal is that the school itself can no longer have the whole class say a prayer. Not that this was ever forced but our government thought it needed a law against it.

What drives me crazy is that the public school has now got so politically correct and anti-Christian that it is no longer Easter vacation but Spring break and it usually never falls on Easter anymore. At Christmas they have taken Christ out completely. No songs that we grew up singing are allowed during the pageants. And we now call it Winter Break.

Now I could go for all of this. But, they still make a big deal over Halloween. A holiday that is celebrated by wiccans. Which our government said was an actual religion. So, in my opinion it shouldn't be allowed to be celebrated at public schools.

Last year my daughter had a Muslim come and explain the meaning of Ramada. No preacher came to explain the meaning of Easter or Christmas.

Owning Pita, by my JassWolf!!
My Story~ Friday Night Spanking
Old 08-15-2004, 12:37 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
The public and private schools in my area do not celebrate Halloween.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 08-15-2004, 04:01 AM
I make sexytime with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinglingTess
A student has the right to pray to themselves at public school. They also may have group get together. Like the national pray at the flag pole that are held every year at many public schools. There are many other rights they have also.

What is illegal is that the school itself can no longer have the whole class say a prayer. Not that this was ever forced but our government thought it needed a law against it.

Making outsiders of kids who don't want to pray with "the class" is hardly a positive step in the direction of religious freedom.

Quote:
What drives me crazy is that the public school has now got so politically correct and anti-Christian that it is no longer Easter vacation but Spring break and it usually never falls on Easter anymore. At Christmas they have taken Christ out completely. No songs that we grew up singing are allowed during the pageants. And we now call it Winter Break.

They're not called Eostre or Yule either, but that's not anti-Pagan. Hannukah falls in "Winter Break" most years, but not calling it "Hannukah break" isn't anti-Jewish. Not calling it "Festivus break" isn't anti-Frank Costanza (Seinfeld reference) And so on. There's a break, and it's in Winter. Winter break. Simple, descriptive, all-inclusive.

Quote:
Now I could go for all of this. But, they still make a big deal over Halloween. A holiday that is celebrated by wiccans. Which our government said was an actual religion. So, in my opinion it shouldn't be allowed to be celebrated at public schools.

I'm not sure, though, that the Wiccan elements of Halloween (Samhain?) are celebrated in public schools. Dressing up and asking for candy sound pretty secular in origin to me.

Quote:
Last year my daughter had a Muslim come and explain the meaning of Ramada. No preacher came to explain the meaning of Easter or Christmas.

I dare say the awareness of the Christian meanings of Easter and Christmas was far in excess of the awareness of the meaning of Ramadan in that class. Though, if it does concern you, you could offer the suggestion to the school board, or the class teacher, etc.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:47 AM

Belial,

Historically, Halloween is multi-cultural. The word itself, "Halloween," has its origins in the Catholic Church. It comes from a contracted corruption of All Hallows Eve. November 1, "All Hollows Day" (or "All Saints Day"), is a Catholic day of observance in honor of saints. Pope Gregory III fixed the annual celebration on November 1 back in the 700s.

In pre-Roman Celtic Ireland, summer officially ended on October 31. The holiday was called Samhain, the Celtic New year. The Romans adopted the Celtic practices as their own. In the first century AD, Samhain was assimilated into celebrations of some of the other Roman traditions that took place in October, such as their day to honor Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruit and trees. The symbol of Pomona is the apple, which may hint at the origin of our American tradition of bobbing for apples on Halloween.

The tradition of disguising oneself in a demonic form also may also be traced to a Celtic origin. One story says that, on that day, the disembodied spirits of all those who had died during the year could come back in search of living bodies to possess for the next year. It was believed to be their only hope for the afterlife. The Celts believed all laws of space and time were suspended during this time, allowing the spirit world to intermingle with the living. Naturally, the still-living did not want to be possessed. So on the night of October 31, villagers would extinguish the fires in their homes, to make them cold and undesirable. They would then dress up in all manner of ghoulish costumes and noisily paraded around the neighborhood, being as destructive as possible in order to frighten away spirits looking for bodies to possess.

The custom of trick-or-treating can be traced to a medieval European custom called souling. On November 2, All Souls Day, poor Christians would walk from village to village begging for "soul cakes", made out of square pieces of bread with currants. The more soul cakes the beggars would receive, the more prayers they would promise to say on behalf of the dead relatives of the donors. At the time, it was believed that the dead remained in limbo for a time after death, and that prayer, even by strangers, could expedite a soul's passage to heaven.

It is only with the advent of America’s perverse fascination with political correctness that such multi-cultural festivals are mistakenly suppressed as discriminating in favor of a particular religion. Sic Transit Gloria Mundi.