Thread: Denny's Ordeal
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Nurse Ratchet Graduate

Send a message via MSN to flutelady
Lightbulb Denny's Ordeal

I wanted to update you all about what's happening with Denny. I know he has many friends here who would want to know...

Denny's been suffering for quite some time from atrial fibrilation. The docs tried to correct it through meds and through more aggressive means, but it didn't respond. This past Thursday, Denny had an outpatient procedure done. During the procedure, there were complications that landed Denny in ICU with a chest tube.

The following morning when the docs tried to remove the chest tube, Denny began bleeding uncontrollably and it was quickly determined that an artery in his heart had been nicked. He was rushed to the OR where they opened his chest and repaired the artery. Twice during the operation, he had to be resusitated (sp?) as his heart stopped beating. Also, hee was given two units of blood.

After two days in the surgical ICU, he was finally moved to the cardiac floor, and now he's got pneumonia. This morning, the surgeon removed the chest tube successfully and, God willing, Denny will possibly be coming home tomorrow to continue recovering.

So... an outpatient procedure turned into major surgery and near death. After much pain and suffering, Denny got some more news this morning... the atrial fibrilation has NOT been corrected.

I'll be here in Thousand Oaks with him. I took him to the hospital and will bring him back upon release, and I'll stay here and tend to him. Believe me when I say he will receive all the loving care I have to give.

He's not out of the woods yet. The pneumonia persists and we were informed yesterday that he's got some damage to the heart as a result of this whole experience.

He can use your prayers and good wishes! I'll keep you updated.

It's no trick loving somebody at their best. Love is loving them at their worst.
~Tom Stoppard~

It isn't premarital sex if you have no intention of getting married.
~George Burns~

As bad as I am, I'm proud of the fact that I'm worse than I seem.
~A. DiFranco~