Thread: Convince Me
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Loungin' Around

What is the community like? Quiet and family-oriented. Some nightlife, but the sidewalks still roll up after @11 pm. You have to hunt pretty hard or go to campus after that. But campus (Ohio STate Univ) is one of the largest colleges in the USA. There is a local ballet, comtemp dance, pops orchestra, symphony, several theater groups, comedy clubs, etc. all within about a 20 mile radius. And four NICE NEW malls.

What are the schools like? Depends ion the schools. City schools have metal detectors, but many of the suburbs are quite nice. My sister-in-law went to a suburbian school that had a course book bigger than many colleges'.

What are the employment options? Pretty good. Lots of Fortune 500 (US) companies have offices here. Good for manufacturing, insurance, health care, and services workers too.

Cost of living???Very reasonable. Average house is roughly $225 K (US) and you end up with @2000 sf (over 200 m2). Good insulation, central heat, many homes with *character*

Crime rate? Actually pretty high. Heard about the recent rock concert shooting? Columbus. Remember the highway sniper? Columbus. Race riots? Cincinnati (not far from here). Rabid Buckeye fans? Columbus. Location of terrorist cell post-911? Columbus. <sigh>

Big city or country? Kinda in the middle. COlumbus has about 1.5 M people in the Metro area. Big enough to draw shopping, a decent symphony, and such...but small enough that there aren't too many traffic jams.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney