Thread: Avitars
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2002, 02:09 PM
Oral Freak

Hi, Souls ---

So far as I can tell, the maximum size for a custom avatar here is 50x50 pixels, regardless of whether it's a JPEG or a GIF. The two file formats handle colour and edges slightly differently --- GIFs tend to be sharper but grainier, while JPEGs tend to be smoother, in my experience. (This isn't always true, and in larger files it doesn't make much difference, but when you're dealing with tiny images, colour transitions and lines become quite important in making something recognizable.)

My suggestion would be to crop the original down as close as possible to the core image that you want to use (i.e., just a face rather than a whole body) and paint out any unneccesary details in the background so the picture is 'clean'. From there, save a copy (so you retain an original) and scale it down so the maximum dimensions are 50 pixels in any direction.

If you want help with any of the cropping, painting out, resizing, etc., or if you have a great image but it needs to be simplified to be clear, PM me and I'll give you my e-mail address --- then you can send the file as an attachment and I'll fiddle away with it (you know I love that stuff)...

Good luck!

--- sweetstuff

p.s. Maybe Kim can clarify what the rules are for av size...?