View Single Post
Old 05-19-2003, 04:13 PM
Highlander JM

Ip 23

“I love you, Jeremy,” Devon said, nodding her head for emphasis. “That’s all you need to remember. If you want Pamela and Trish to come back, I won’t stand in your way. If not, again, I won’t stand in your way.”
Frowning softly, I also nodded my head at her. “I think I’ve finally made up my mind, Devon. You and Lindsay are more important to me than anything else in the whole, wide world - as is our relationship with one another. I love both of you more than anything.”
“I think it is truly awful what Cassidy made Pamela and Trish do, but I’m not willing to possibly sacrifice the relationship I have with you and Lindsay by bringing them back into our lives.” I shook my head and added, “I know I’m gonna feel guilty for dumping on Pamela the way I have. But unfortunately, it has to be that way. I’m not going to let anyone spoil our three-way marriage with Lindsay.”
“Are you absolutely sure about Pamela?” Devon wondered.
“Yes, I am.”
The enchanting blonde first offered me a smile, then a
gracious hug. “Again, I love you, Jeremy. If this is what you want, then so be it. I was going to stand behind you, no matter what you chose.”
Our embrace over, I pulled back and looked deep into her alluring blue eyes. “You say that, Devon... but surely you would not approve of Pamela being back in our lives?”
“Did I want her with us?” Devon countered. “To tell you the truth, no, I didn’t. But it was so awful and terrible the way she and Trish were pulled away from you and Lindsay. I was not going to argue if you wanted to let them back in.”
“It would have been too awkward,” I said, offering her another loving embrace. “I don’t want you or Lindsay to ever look over your shoulders in our upcoming marriage.”
“There would be too many problems with Pamela and Trish here, too,” Devon added. “Everyone would be fighting for their territory. I know I wouldn’t back down. Pamela would want to monopolize your time, Jeremy, while Trish would do the same with Lindsay. I would have accepted it if you wanted her back, but it would have been a big struggle.”
“What about Lindsay, though?” I asked, pulling away from the embrace. “She seems to want both Pamela and Trish back.”
“Lindsay thinks with her heart, but not her head, a lot of times,” Devon answered. “Lindsay is so sweet and loving almost to a fault. That’s both a good and bad thing. But, she can’t take Trish back, Jeremy. It would be the third time if she did. I can talk to Lindsay if you want, though. I can tell her that our relationship is more important than Pamela and Trish are. She just needs to understand that.”
“I think we should both talk to her,” I said, frowning. “She’ll listen to both of us a lot better. I just feel bad for Pamela. I’m going to feel guilty over sending her away for a long, long time to come. Although Pamela and Trish should have trusted in me, what they did was out of pure love. They just wanted all of us to be safe and secure.”
“I realize that, Jeremy,” Devon offered. “But they went about it the wrong way. Pamela told me before she left the other day that there was a microphone on her that day back in December, and Cassidy was listening in. Pamela could have easily left a note explaining the whole blackmail scheme. That way, maybe Pamela and Trish would have been gone for awhile, but we could have figured out what to do in order to take care of Cassidy and her threats. Then, Pamela and Trish could come back.”
“It’s pretty pointless to talk about now, though,” I mused. “It’s actually quite depressing.”
“I know, but still...” Devon said, trying to cheer me up with a grin. “The big thing is Lindsay’s feelings. She’ll always have a soft spot in her heart for Trish, because she is the one who took her virginity. I still feel that way about my first boyfriend, even though he turned out to be a total jerk. We just have to convince Lindsay that allowing Trish back into her life would not be the best thing to do. Same goes for allowing Pamela back into her life.”

A short time later, I was routinely making my way through the mansion when I came across the usually charming duo of Christina and Lisa in the recreation room. I offered both ladies a nod and a smile, but what I received in return was anything but cordial and friendly. In fact, it was shocking.
“HEY!” I exclaimed, after Christina stormed up to me and slapped me across the face with an open hand. A violent, nasty expression was upon her own face as I openly wondered, “What in the world was that for?”
“How dare you, Jeremy!” Christina roared in response, her eyes bursting with anger. “HOW DARE YOU!”
“What?” I asked, my hands extended in a shrug. What had I done to incur her wrath? Never in my life had I seen Christina act so aggressive and violent before.
“PAMELA!” Christina exploded. “You treated her and Trish like garbage! You act is as if you don’t even care about them! The day after you KICKED them off the island, I go to your suite because I think you may need some cheering up. You had just found out that your wife left you because she was blackmailed into doing so. But instead of being stricken with depression... I find you having sex with Devon!”
“Whoa, slow up a minute...” I told her defensively, still shaken from that sharp slap upon my unsuspecting face.
“No!” Christina shot back, very upset. “After all that time, Pamela finally has a chance to come running back to you, and she does. But you won’t even listen to her. You send her away faster than she even got here!”
“What am I supposed to do?” I asked in return, my voice raising. “I have Lindsay and Devon now. I just can’t say that oh... Pamela was taken away from me unfairly. It was all a big lie, not her fault. I’m going to dump Lindsay and Devon now, and get back with Pamela. I’m sorry, Christina, but it doesn’t work that way. I’m not about to sacrifice my relationship with Lindsay and Devon for anyone at all.”
Christina shoved me in the shoulder and exclaimed, “You’re so insensitive, Jeremy! I met you three years ago and all you did was whine and complain about how no one loved you. All you wanted was someone who would care about you, and not so much your money. You were so lonely on this island!”
“So I spent three months, Jeremy, writing you a computer program which would find the right type of woman for you. And it did! Her name was Pamela. Not only did Pamela love you more than ANYTHING, Jeremy, but she STILL DOES! You used to tell me all the time all you wanted was for someone to love the real you. Not your money, not your fame or fortune. JUST THE REAL YOU. And you found her in Pamela!”
“But now, you send her packing like she is garbage!
Pamela would do ANYTHING for you, Jeremy, and you KNOW IT! I just can’t believe that after everything you have been through in your life - all the loneliness - you would do that to another person - ESPECIALLY someone who loves you so much. I was with Pamela the other night... she couldn’t stop crying, knowing you didn’t want her here anymore!”
“Wait a minute!” I told her, now angry myself. “You seem to forget the fact that both Pamela and Trish lied to all of us. They could have easily told the truth about Cassidy and her threats. But they didn’t. They didn’t trust me.”
Christina shook her head and countered, “As misguided as they were about the blackmail threats, the fact remains that what Pamela and Trish did was out of pure love for you and Lindsay. They went along with it because they did not either of you, or anyone else on the island, to get hurt.”
“I understand that, Christina. But still, times are different now. It would not be fair of me to throw either Lindsay or Devon, or even Amy out, because Pamela is back. Still, she lied to us.”
“Pamela and Trish went through seven months of Hell to protect you and everyone else here!” Christina roared. “I can’t believe how insensitive you are, Jeremy! Pamela may not have said it as much as Lindsay and Devon, but she loved you so much! She still does! In fact, I’d bet that Pamela loves you much more than Lindsay or Devon EVER could!”
“I beg to differ,” I told her in a defiant tone. “Neither Lindsay or Devon could ever even think of hurting me the same way Pamela did. They’d rather die first.”
“Pamela lied only so she could protect you!” Christina exclaimed, throwing an open hand and hitting my in the shoulder once more. “Can’t you see that, Jeremy?”
“Pamela should have been truthful and upfront with me from the very beginning,” I told her. “And you are wrong about me not caring. I DO care. It’s awful what happened.”
“If you cared, you wouldn’t have been humping Devon the very next day after sending Pamela away!” she raged on. “I went to your room yesterday because I figured you needed a shoulder to lean on. Instead, I opened the door and there you were - with Devon, fucking like animals. 24 hours after sending Pamela home... 48 hours after finding out she was blackmailed into leaving you! That’s so incredibly mean!”
I shook my head and countered, “If I stop doing my normal routine and allow myself to think about Pamela - and what Cassidy did to us - I would go insane, Christina. I HAVE to keep myself occupied! It’s the only way I’ll get through!” Trembling, I paused and added, “What do you think I should have done, Christina? What?”
“You should have taken Pamela back!” she screamed. “But at the very least, you should have allowed a few days for emotions and feelings to settle down before making any type of decision. I just can’t believe you, Jeremy! I’ve always thought you were so kind and understanding. But now, this... this was so cruel and insensitive of you. You sent her home without a second thought! SHE WAS DEVASTATED!”
“There was no decision to make,” I told her, trying to control my temper. “I’m not risking my relationship with Lindsay and Devon for anyone. Allowing Pamela and Trish back into our lives would cause nothing but trouble.”
“I could never trust Pamela again, either - no matter if she was blackmailed into lying to us or not. Honesty is very important to me, Christina. If my own wife can’t trust me enough to protect her and the people that we care about, then that is a serious problem.”
“You make me SICK, Jeremy!” Christina erupted, her voice louder and more hateful than ever before. “OH! This is why I hate men so much! I thought you were the last good one left!” She turned toward Lisa, who had been sitting rather silently in the background, and said, “COME ON! Let’s get our things and go back home!”
“What?” I exclaimed, my eyes wide, as Christina grabbed Lisa by the hand and made a move for the exit. “Go home?”
“I can’t stand you anymore, Jeremy!” Christina screamed. “Not after how you treated Pamela! Lisa and I... we’re... we’re going home! Back to Illinois! Right now!”
“Christina!” I shrieked, my heart suddenly broken in two, as she and Lisa stormed out of the recreation room. At that very moment, I noticed that Gabrielle was standing at the exit. Apparently, she had witnessed our entire discussion - the horrified expression upon her face told me so.

“Unreasonable?” I exclaimed hours later, as the trio of Lindsay, Devon and Amy were all gathered around me at the dinner table in the common room. “Christina was BEYOND unreasonable! I never seen her act like that way!”
“This has been a terrible couple of days,” Devon frowned, shaking her head. “I don’t think it could get any worse. Jeremy, you can’t be expected to welcome Pamela back into your life with open arms after all these months. I don’t understand how Christina could possibly expect you to.”
“I just can’t believe that Christina and Lisa left us,” I said, shaking my head in despair. “Gabrielle, too!”
“Why did Gabrielle leave, as well?” Lindsay asked, upset.
Amy pouted and replied, “Gabrielle said she had been here
for just a few days, but too many negative things were going on. She heard all about the big argument and the fight between Lindsay and Devon, and Trish. She seen Pamela and Trish crying that night. Then she saw Christina screaming at Jeremy earlier today. I tried to tell her that the island is not a war-zone, but she wouldn’t listen to me. Gabrielle didn’t want to be in what she saw as a negative atmosphere. So, she decided to go back home to Arizona today, too.”
“What’s happened to my island?” I asked, very distraught. “Just in the very recent past, five people - Stephanie, Jessica, Christina, Lisa and Gabrielle - have all left. Pamela and Trish were ripped away from us because of what another one-time island inhabitant, Cassidy, did. I... I have always strived for the island to be a very loving and peaceful place. Now, no one wants to be here anymore.” I shook my head and added, “Next thing I know, one of you - Lindsay, Devon or Amy - or maybe two, or even all three of you - will want to leave, too! Then I’ll be left alone...”
“No way!” Lindsay exclaimed.
“We aren’t going anywhere!” Amy implored.
“No!” Devon chimed in. “Jeremy, we love you. You can be
positively sure of that. None of us will ever leave you!”
Frowning, I countered, “I never thought Christina would blow up at me, and act as if she hated me. Christina and I have been really close for years. But now look at her...”
“Christina is not Lindsay or Devon, or even me,” Amy said in a strong tone. “Christina was your friend, Jeremy. She did not love you the way the three of us love you.”
“Christina was the one who let her emotions get the best of her,” Devon nodded. “She and Lisa, and even Gabrielle, are probably regretting the fact that they left the island. It wouldn’t surprise me if they ask to come back soon.”
“I miss Gabrielle already,” Amy pouted. “I was actually getting pretty close and intimate with her.”
“They’re not coming back!” I hissed, angry.
Lindsay shook her head and surmised, “I’m not going to
let you get depressed or mad over this, Jeremy. No way! Christina, Lisa, Gabrielle... even Jessica and Stephanie; they’re no longer with us. Maybe it’s better this way!”
“How can it be better this way?” I asked her. “It’s like a trend is developing. Soon, the three of you will want to leave, too. I won’t be able to handle it! I’ll spend the rest of my days in misery on this island... all alone!”
“We’re not leaving you!” Devon reiterated.
“It is better this way!” Lindsay exclaimed. “If all of
them don’t want to be here, then be gone with them!” She paused and implored, “But Devon, Amy and I... we DO want to be here, Jeremy! We want to be with YOU! WE LOVE YOU!”
“I’ll mess it up somehow,” I retorted, still upset and not thinking very clearly. “I always do! Throughout my entire life, I’ve done nothing but screw up at every turn! I even screwed up an island paradise!”
“Marry me!” Lindsay exclaimed, completely out of the blue.
“What?” I asked, suddenly very calm and quiet. It was as if the world stopped. Did she say what I thought she said?
“Marry me!” Lindsay told me again. “You want some sort of commitment or promise that I’ll never leave you, Jeremy? Then marry me! Make me your bride! Right now! Next week, or next month! Then, both of us can marry Devon.”
“You’re proposing to me?” I asked, somewhat shocked. “I didn’t... this isn’t quite the way I imagined that you and I would officially become engaged, Lindsay. I thought... I would be the one to...”
“Marry me!” she exclaimed again, cutting me off. “I don’t know any other way that I can profess my true and undying love for you, Jeremy. I’ve said it a million times. I’ve told you that I’m not going to leave. You want some type of assurance? Here it is! Marry me!”
Emotions were obviously running very high, but even I knew at this very point in time that this was perhaps the most unique (and strange) marriage proposal anyone had ever received. I never imagined it would be like this...
“Lindsay...” I said softly, gulping my throat, “I... we just can’t up and get married. Don’t you want to be married in front of your family, in Ohio? That takes time; planning. Certainly, I would never think of getting married in front of the Justice of the Peace. You deserve a lavish wedding, Lindsay... a celebration, a big party. It takes time!”
“Then let’s get married in a month!” she told me.
“We need more time to plan everything,” I said, laughing.
“No we don’t!” Lindsay exclaimed. “If all of us work
together, we can make it happen. Me, you, Amy, Devon... both you and I have family in Ohio, Jeremy. My family can help us. Your family can help. Plus... all the planning and work we’d have to do in order to prepare for the wedding would help take our minds off everyone leaving us.” She paused and continued, “I’m sad about Stephanie, Jessica, Christina, Lisa and Gabrielle, too. But if they don’t want to be here anymore, that’s their problem! I don’t want to have to think about them anymore!”
I smiled at her and said, “We shouldn’t get married, Lindsay, as a way to temper our sadness.”
“Don’t you want to marry me, Jeremy?” she asked, her tone persistent. “Isn’t this what we have wanted since Pamela and Trish left? Isn’t this what we have talked about, and planned? I don’t think it’s a way to alleviate our sadness.” Taking a deep breath, she softly added, “I think it’s a good time to make it official.”
My eyes went wide as Lindsay dropped to one knee before me, and grasped my hand. “Will you marry me, Jeremy?”
For a split-second, I glanced over at Devon and Amy. Both of them were as awestruck as I was. This had been extremely sudden, and was so unique in nature. But the question Lindsay posed was so easy for me to answer...
“Of course I will, princess.” Laughing in joy, I dropped down to my knees in front of Lindsay and exclaimed, “Yes, most definitely... I will marry you!”

<<<- End of Part 23 ->>>

• AUTHOR’S NOTE: There is only one more chapter to go before this story comes to a conclusion!