View Single Post
Old 01-28-2003, 02:05 PM
Manwhore

I would agree with Wombat that if you go to a independent computer dealer you're likely to find the best price and have it built to your spec's and receive a warranty. Then you will have less problems if you need to upgrade. I work on computers all the time, and there isn't a thing much more annoying than needing to upgrade an HP or Compaq... what a pain. Too much proprietary crap! With the independent dealer, they will take care of the hardware issues that arise under warranty. As far as software issues, just mention your problem in a computer lab at college and there will be a handful of geeks (like me ) ready, willing, and able to fix the problem. As far as the operating system, given that this is a college student with a new computer, she probably won't have a need for old programs and her system will be built with compatible hardware so it should work fine. Also, as BCG mentioned, make sure it has an Ethernet card, or network card, which it probably will, most systems these days do. If they decide to go with a corporate system, I would go with Dell.

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these