View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Causer of Unrest

Early in our marriage, I had switched to Depo-Provera for BC, and it killed my libido. It wasn't that I didn't like sex when we got around to having it; it's that it didn't even occur to me that I wanted it. This caused no end of arguments and tears on my part, and I felt pressured every time the subject came up. The hubby was frustrated on multiple levels, and the subject came up a lot. So, in our case, talking a lot about "the problem" which I felt was framed as "my problem" (and in a way, it was, though it wasn't a conscious choice on my part) sure didn't help; getting off those evil hormones did, though. I guess the question is, is it possible there's a physical issue that he needs to check out, as in my case, or is he just generally not that sexual a person? Is your sex life since you moved in together significantly different?

At our house, after nearly 21 years together, I think there's an unspoken goal of once a week, and we're both happier if we meet that goal. It doesn't always happen that way, due to tiredness or busyness or illness, or pain issues for me, but we shoot for that. Sometimes we have an ambitious week and go for twice. That's not to say we aren't horny other times, but we recognize that we live together and will get around it eventually, and there's really no rush.

You're not wrong to want sex more often; he's not wrong to want sex less often. I think what's reasonable in a relationship sex-wise is what you both agree on. If there is a fundamental difference in libidos, it may come to the point where you have to consider other options--parting ways; opening up your relationship; finding ways to satisfy yourself sexually, and finding intimacy with your partner some other way.

But I can guarantee you that you being dissatisfied with that portion of your relationship, and him feeling upset that you're upset, is not sustainable. I really don't think sex drive is commandable in the long term; it is what it is, and if he starts having sex more often than he wants to to please you, he's going to end up resenting you. And I suspect you will not enjoy duty sex a whole lot, either, and end up feeling resentful yourself.

My photo threads...

Latest: Cool April Morning

XXXII XXXIII XXXIV XXXV XXXVI XXXVII XXXVIII XXXIX

Stories
Thank You, Come Again / Robyn's Roommate / Seamus, Charlotte, and the Showgirl / God, It's Good to Be Queen

"I walk with my head held high and naked in the sun, claiming these streets for myself."--Jonatha Brooke