View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 06:02 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAngel5

OK. As I stated before, I do ascribe to evolution. However, a few people have made reference to ID as more than a mere twist away from creationism, and here I feel a bit lost. Because as I understood it, intelligent design says that there was a designer - deity or not - that created all of the earth out of nothingness. The book of Genesis says - though in several different ways - that G-d created the heavens and the earth, and all that is upon it, in 6 days. Now, as far as I can tell, the only difference between the two ideas is the timeline of the occurence; i.e. ID is taking creationism and fitting to the scientific facts of the fossil record and carbon-dating. Again, if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

When I was in highschool our teacher discussed evolution at length. Because it was a rural southern bible belt town she offerred a workshop by a theologian to accompany the evolution unit of study. He was a very sweet man who spoke openly of the Bible as an interpretive piece and asked me a question that has stuck with me all this time. " Do you think that a day could have meant 24 hours?" Knowing what we know about the way our species has come to be, did we honestly think the Bible meant 6 days. To me personally this became a way to gel the Science that I knew was correct and had observed for myself and my faith. I no longer saw the reference in the Bible as concrete but rather as the description of 6 evolutionary phases.

That was my introduction to the theory of Intelligent Design. It was probably back in 84.

To me, teaching evolution via the concepts of natural selection and gene mutation are vital. Especially now days when medical science is attempting to create those mutations in labs to cure diseases and illnesses. Students have to understand this because at some point they may be personally affected by the processess being developed.

For me the only difference in a wide variety of the theories comes from how the original process began.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas