Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advice (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Good ol' boys society (merged) (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30871)

Shadozfire 06-05-2007 07:55 PM

Good ol' boys society

I was informed today, by work, that there will be cocktail and dinner party that would be politically correct for me to attend. The kicker is that I must attend with a date and I seem to be at a loss for a man to take. Being that this is Texas, I do not take this lightly. How do I do this with no man in sight? Not only do they have to look absolutely wonderful, but they have to own a suit. UGH please help!

SF

cherrypie7788 06-05-2007 11:38 PM

You MUST bring a date?

GreenChef 06-06-2007 01:55 AM

Send me a plane ticket...
kidding
I'd be flying overseas if I could...

Loulabelle 06-06-2007 03:51 AM

Oh I just couldn't do it.....I'd just HAVE to go on my own, and if anyone questioned, I'd have to tell them that it's not necessary for me to have a man on my arm to validate me.

YOU are the one who works for the company. YOU are the person that needs to 'mingle' and make a good impression. If you take a man with you, you may judged on his merits (or lack of them) and not your own....how could you do that, if it's not a man you choose to be associated with long term?

How would you be expected to handle this if you were in a same sex relationship? How can they discriminate against single people by MAKING you take a bloke with you? You say, 'This is Texas' as though you are not entirely in agreement with this attitude, so why not challenge it? It'll always be that way if people who disagree fit in for the sake of not making trouble. If it weren't for Rosa Parks, then perhaps there'd still be racial segregation. Why not make a stand against an outdated (and frankly, to my foreigner's mind, shockingly offensive) attitude?

anythinggoes69u 06-06-2007 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadozfire
I was informed today, by work, that there will be cocktail and dinner party that would be politically correct for me to attend. The kicker is that I must attend with a date and I seem to be at a loss for a man to take. Being that this is Texas, I do not take this lightly. How do I do this with no man in sight? Not only do they have to look absolutely wonderful, but they have to own a suit. UGH please help!

SF

Have you not got a female workmate who's partner doesn't know a single suitable mate who knows the score so there will be no problems at the end of the evening.

Unless he's gorgeous of course !!!

LixyChick 06-06-2007 04:55 AM

This sounds like a movie I saw with Jennifer Aniston playing your part. She "found" a date and it was a disaster initially. Turns out honesty would have been the best policy but her friend at work thought otherwise. In the end her honesty about lacking an S/O brought her wealth and a relationship. But that is Hollywood and this is real life.

Let your heart guide you! Whatever feels right will be right!

P.S. What does Texas have to do with it?

maddy 06-06-2007 05:46 AM

I find this whole thing a bit odd. I've been to professional cocktail and dinner parties (while in Texas) and it was never required for me to have a male counterpart with me. I mingled amongst the people I knew and left when I was ready, on my own.

But if you must have a date, consider a friend, relative (brother, cousin....), neighbor, any male you feel comfortable enough to spend a formal evening with. Or even, another co-worker who isn't invited to attend (woops! I guess I assumed this is a work event).

PantyFanatic 06-06-2007 09:53 AM

/me runs to Homeland Security Office with Lone Star visa application

Black tie or white? :confused:

OH:( You said "...they have to look absolutely wonderful..." :banghead:

cherrypie7788 06-06-2007 10:13 AM

The whole thing just seems odd to me, sorry.

osuche 06-06-2007 10:23 AM

Bring a guy friend if you really feel uncomfortable going stag.

And I hope you have a great time!

WildIrish 06-06-2007 11:46 AM

I have nothing but obvious advice so I'll be the :ahole: that suggests bribing the border patrol to let a cute one slip by. :p

WildIrish 06-06-2007 11:58 AM

I've come up with another stupid answer! :D

Bring me and the entire evening will be so uncomfortable that they'll never require it again! :p

IowaMan 06-06-2007 01:54 PM

OMG WI.......... :roflmao:

GreenChef 06-06-2007 02:10 PM

I like WI's answer, though i doubt it's true

WildIrish 06-06-2007 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenChef
I like WI's answer, though i doubt it's true

Have you read many of my posts? I'm a bit of a goofball. lol