Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Size DOES matter (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33925)

PantyFanatic 02-23-2009 01:18 AM

Size DOES matter

Sometimes size makes it so much better there just is no comparison. There are things that were just meant for full size use. Anything less really robs the experience of it's full thrill. Today I got to watched Lawrence Of Arabia again on a full 40 ft. screen in a real theater. :cool:

Most of you know I embrace new improvements of technology when they are actually improving or adding to our life. Cinemaplexes are NOT one of those things. I'm sure there are Pixies here who have never 'gone to the movies' where there wasn't half a dozen partitioned boxes with more than 50 seats in each and a 12 ft. screen hanging on the wall. You'll have to take my word for it, but once upon a time a movie theater was one large building (not in the 'mall') with 300+ seats and one GIANT screen at the back of the stage and behind the 20 high velvet curtain that opened at the start of the "movies". ;)

The point here is that there were epic movies made (epic being the key word) that can only be appreciated to the fullest when viewed in such a setting. Most were made before animation extended beyond the cartoon that was shown. When you saw 200 camels charging across a half mile wide strip of desert, there WAS 200 people on camels charging across a desert. Today's technology and the entire motion picture industry has changed and I understand there is no reason to produce this type true spectacle any longer but you have to respect the incredible task accomplished and the result when seen as intended is something you just will never get from renting the DVD and watching it at home.

So, for those Pixies that know of what I speak, what would you recommend our other members to go out of their way to see when the opportunity presents itself for a full screen viewing? I'm not looking for our list of classic or favorites, butthe movies that you consider true 'epics' that need to be seen on the real big screen. I'm proud to say one of the few things I've been able to pass on is an appreciation for movies of this class and this one happens to be my sons all-time pick. Myself, while it's among the best it has to compete with Doctor Zhivago. Tell us what you think should be on the list.
:)

dicksbro 02-23-2009 04:51 AM

Ben-Hur; Spartacus; Gone with the Wind; Dr. Zhivago; Fiddler on the Roof (my all time favorite); and, West Side Story come immediately to mind. Back to the good ol' days when the one place you knew was air conditioned was the theatre ... cuz they had that huge sign saying so hanging from their marquee.

Lilith 02-23-2009 05:34 AM

Gamera :p

jseal 02-23-2009 06:14 AM

The Man Who Would Be King & 2001: A Space Odyssey

Oldfart 02-23-2009 06:40 AM

2010. and too many other greats. Most really do need the large screen.

Scarecrow 02-23-2009 02:47 PM

Jaws, I saw this one on opening day.

PantyFanatic 02-23-2009 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
Gamera :p

:thumbs:

:roflmao:

I have to add The Ten Commandments and Wizard Of Oz to the list for me.

Aqua 02-23-2009 06:43 PM

Seeing Star Wars at the UA Cinema 150 in downtown Seattle was a magical event for me. Granted, I was a young fry at the time. :nod:

It's still the best when viewed in a true movie theater.

wyndhy 02-23-2009 08:46 PM

any pixar flick

FlirtWithMe 02-24-2009 02:13 AM

Gone With The Wind and Grease

I remember sitting in a cramped-up cinema, seats stuffed with horse-hair type place, watching Grease when it was first released and I loved it!

I was lucky enough to watch GWTW on its 60th anniversary, in one of the oldest cinemas in town. Horribly uncomfortable seats (worse than the place I saw Grease) to sit in for such a long time, but awesome all the same :nod:

scotzoidman 02-24-2009 08:33 AM

One from the cineplex era, but still only has the full impact on a big screen - Days of Thunder. I know, not one of the "classic" movies, but seeing the cars coming at you 100X the size of life does help cover its lack of plot/character development very well... :D

mercifulangel 02-24-2009 05:33 PM

Lady and the tramp when i was four

jbh3 02-24-2009 05:54 PM

Apocalypse Now

....the horror...the horror.

citrus 02-25-2009 02:54 AM

JEREMIAH JOHNSON. Wish it could be in IMAX format!
IMAX the major epics and see what happens to yer head. :corn:

osuche 02-28-2009 10:37 PM

Braveheart