Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   An Astroid Is Coming! An Astroid Is Coming!! (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32432)

dicksbro 01-29-2008 06:20 AM

An Astroid Is Coming! An Astroid Is Coming!!

GET READY TO DUCK!!

Well, okay, you don't need to duck ... it'll be over 300,000 miles from us ... but that's pretty close in space terms.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080125.../earth_asteroid

jseal 01-29-2008 07:10 AM

dicksbro,

Yessir, it certainly is!

That is why NASA needs to be able to continue funding the pogram which tracks NEAs. Sooner or later one of them will need to be interdicted, and we do not yet know enough about them.

sodaklostsoul 01-29-2008 07:59 AM

DB when I saw this title I was laughing cause it reminded me of Paul Rever's ride which kiddo's class is renacting in school today. Last week they brought tea cups and got to taste several flavors of tea, which kiddo didn't care for.

Hijack over.............

I watched a movie about Astroids a few weeks ago.

PantyFanatic 01-29-2008 09:44 AM

A lot of eyes will be on TU24. Finding out if this is a single solid body or a unit of smaller components will provide different options methods of feasible intervention. They have come before and WILL come again.

gekkogecko 01-29-2008 10:53 AM

No need to worry, no cause for alarm. Just getting a bucket.

dicksbro 01-29-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaklostsoul
DB when I saw this title I was laughing cause it reminded me of Paul Rever's ride which kiddo's class is renacting in school today.

I was thinking of that when I named the thread! :)

wyndhy 01-29-2008 01:07 PM

whenever i hear interdiction used as a strategy to deal with potentially planet-destroying asteroids it always cracks me up ... makes it sound like we can just forbid all asteroids from hitting earth and that'll be that. lol. it's a nice euphemism though, and keeps the masses calm. i guess saying nuke the fucker out of the milky way if we have to sounds kinda scary.lmao

jseal 01-29-2008 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndhy
whenever i hear interdiction used as a strategy to deal with potentially planet-destroying asteroids it always cracks me up ... makes it sound like we can just forbid all asteroids from hitting earth and that'll be that. lol. it's a nice euphemism though, and keeps the masses calm. i guess saying nuke the fucker out of the milky way if we have to sounds kinda scary.lmao

Interdiction, when needed, will probably take the form of a small amount acceleration expressed over an extended period. The trajectory of debris from nuking an NEA would be unpredictable and possibly dangerous. Hence the need for continuous monitoring.

wyndhy 01-29-2008 02:43 PM

i know that, jseal. i was being dramatic. :D it's only because interdiction is something i personally associate more with the prohibition (legalese) and ecclesiastic meanings and less with the confront and stop, or destroy with guns meanings. hence it cracks me up.

jseal 01-29-2008 03:01 PM

Quote:
... i was being dramatic ...

That's good to learn.

wyndhy 01-29-2008 03:06 PM

lol. don't hold it against me. :p

dicksbro 01-29-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:
lol. don't hold it against me. :p

Shoot, there goes my idea. :(

:D

PantyFanatic 01-29-2008 11:29 PM

Quote:
... makes it sound like we can just forbid all asteroids from hitting earth and that'll be that. lol. it's a nice euphemism though, and keeps the masses calm. ....

We've been taking lessons for over 7 years now. ;)

Oldfart 01-30-2008 06:42 AM

The arrogance of trying to do much with a 600 metre diameter chunk of rock zipping through at tens of thousands of miles per hour is breathtaking.

If only as dense as water, this is over 100 million tons. If it's rock, over 500 million tons.

The momentum of this cosmic BB is a staggering six fucktrillion gigasplats.

I'll leave the final figures to our resident number cruncher.

How do you spell "Chicken Little"?

gekkogecko 01-30-2008 10:44 AM

Final figures vary widely. Depends on the speed at which the object hits us, depends on the angle at which it strikes (remember, these two together are what determine velocity in this sense).

Momentum= mv (mass time velocity)
Energy=(mv**2)/2 ((mass times velocity times velocity) divided by 2)

And actual destructiveness is utterly unpredictable, since it depends on not only momentum and energy, but where on the planet a potential impactor would strike: that so critically affects the mix of potential ejecta, and potential secondary effects.