Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advice (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mac users unite! (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19811)

way22hot 04-12-2004 12:25 PM

Mac users unite!

One of our new members uses a mac and can't figure out how to use Live Chat can anyone help?

one-trick pony 04-12-2004 12:35 PM

I think I'm the Mac user. Thanks way22hot.

Chat still has me stumped. I tried the "help" in forum page, tried to download the software but that "page was not found". I tried entering chat from there but the result is the same as clicking the chat box at the top of all pages.

I get a screen that says "Welcome, Connecting to irc dynastynet 6667É" but that's all. I've pushed all the buttons, typed text into the text box, but nothing happens on the big screen. Shouldn't I be able to at least read what everyone else is writing? I know there is some little thing I'm not doing that I should.
I can't believe I'm the only one with a Mac in this PC world.

Any help is appreciated.

OTP

Lilith 04-12-2004 12:43 PM

You have to get a version that is specifically designed for Mac. Contact CasperTG. he is the Mac to IRC expert!

way22hot 04-12-2004 12:46 PM

thank you lilith .I hope that get you the information you needed
OTP well be looking for you on live chat soon

Nightfalke 04-12-2004 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by one-trick pony
I get a screen that says "Welcome, Connecting to irc dynastynet 6667É" but that's all. I've pushed all the buttons, typed text into the text box, but nothing happens on the big screen. Shouldn't I be able to at least read what everyone else is writing? I know there is some little thing I'm not doing that I should.
I can't believe I'm the only one with a Mac in this PC world.

As a Mac user on Pixies, I can safely say that using the Chat on the site is really really slow. It'll take you a long while before it says anything besides "Connecting..."

My suggestion would be to download a Mac IRC program. Check out either Minerva if you are running OSX,

or smIRCle if you are running OS 9.

I can help you out setting up those programs if you need it.

Also, CasperTG, let me know if there are any better programs to use with OSX when you get the chance.

Glad to be of help.

Casperr 04-13-2004 05:56 AM

Ok..... here goes.
Firstly, I'm no longer technically a Mac users.... lol! I converted to the Dark Side a few months ago. But I still remember how to use Macs, so I'll try and help!

With the Live Chat, I never had any problems at all, the few times I used it. I used Netscape Communicator with no trouble. However, I preferred to use Ircle because it was a nicer interface.
http://www.ircle.com
I think. You'll be able to download a demo version that quits after half an hour and drives you up the wall, but from memory it's not too expensive.

Hope that helps!

CasperTG
PS the games are better on Windows.... :D

Belial 04-13-2004 07:21 AM

I believe Mozilla will run on a Mac, and it includes an IRC client called Chatzilla.

Casperr 04-13-2004 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Belial
I believe Mozilla will run on a Mac, and it includes an IRC client called Chatzilla.

Yeah, but it's crap!

Just a personal opinion :)
CasperTG

LixyChick 04-13-2004 05:17 PM

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Techie Talk! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

OK...I'm done!

*giggle*

Oops! Wait! Did I say Welcum to Pixies one-trick pony? If not, pardon my manners and Welcum hun! Good luck with the chatty thingy!

OK...I'm done for real now!

one-trick pony 04-13-2004 08:10 PM

Yeah! I finally got on chat.
Thank you way22hot and Nightfalke. I PMed you to distraction i'm sure, but you were very helpful.

CasparTG, thanks for the advice. I tried IRCle and smIRCle. smIRCle was the first one I got to work so I used it. (don't mess with what works)

LixyChick, thanks for the welcome. I've admired you from afar.

Steph 04-13-2004 11:46 PM

OMG, I'm a Windoze user now, too, Casper! Where did we go wrong?

(And where have you been?!?)

Casperr 04-14-2004 01:40 AM

LOL to be honest Steph, I think the differences these days are getting smaller and smaller. Everything I could do on the Mac I can do on my Windows machine, and the other way round. It ends up being a matter of personal preference really.

But I still think the games are better on Windows :)

Where've I been? I been around! Playing games mostly! ;)

One-trick pony - good to see it worked! Welcome to Pixies!

CasperTG