Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   ~A Memorial for Pop~ (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12526)

Steph 03-09-2003 03:00 AM

My grandfather died on his couch a few years ago at the ripe ol' age of 87. He didn't want to be in the hospital, God love him. My grandparents taught me so much in this life. I'm lucky that at the age of 29, I still have both my grandmothers. I'm going back to Newfoundland in August to see them, mainly. They are always calms in the storm and filled with wisdom.

My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

whitehorse 03-09-2003 01:55 PM

Sorry for your loss, Lixy, my prayers and thoughts are with you and your husband. :)

Lilith 03-09-2003 02:02 PM

I'm sorry to hear that Lixy (((hugs)))......give my love to Mr. Lix too! Sounds as if this man made many memories for you all to reminisce. Sending peace and brightness in your time of sorrow........

Grumble 03-09-2003 04:28 PM

Dear C,

We have spoken of your pop quite a few times and I am sorry for your loss but also pleased for your pop being able to have his choice. Its important to allow someone the dignity of amking thier own decisions. We did it for both my mum and dad.

big hugs to you hun

LixyChick 03-12-2003 11:10 AM

TY for all the well wishes and sympathy everyone!

Pop was laid to rest yesterday and we said goodbye in the subdued manner that he would have wanted. Pop outlived all of his friends and yet we had visits from the children of the friends he had lost. Family (past and present due to seperations and remarriages) gathered. This was an awesome testament to the man we loved and let go. Everyone in attendance had wonderful stories to share of how Pop touched their lives in some way or another. Ex's and current family members all broke bread at the same table afterward and we laughed and quoted quips in remembrance of Pop's affect on our lives.

Pop was a hard working man all his life. We found out things about him that were truly amazing! He worked at the Yale lock company from 1926 to 1974. There were times while he was in the nursing home when he was sure he was still at work. He would ask me or someone else who was visiting why we weren't working, as if we were an employee on an extended break and should get back to work. Even on the day before his death, while my in-laws visited and he wasn't fully aware of himself or his surroundings, he toiled with the covers and the oxygen hoses and such as he would have if he were working at the Yale company still.

Pop was a pack-rat of sorts......but we like to say he was the master recycler! There was never a motor or mechanical part that he wouldn't take apart and place all the nuts, bolts, screws, springs, washers, etc. in seperate jars or boxes and have on hand for any repair that might come along. He was meticulous in keeping these parts seperate and available for easy acsess. Amoung all the material things we have recieved from Pop's estate, my husband has now aquired this vast collection of parts. I know that he has truly taken over the cause because he was elated at this treasure that has been passed along. It's a true confirmation that hereditary traits do exist!

TY again......for such sweet replies!

*hugs to all*