Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2002, 11:46 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
In a nutshell, sex sells in Taiwan

Wed Oct 30, 6:11 AM ET
By Alice Hung

TAOYUAN, Taiwan (Reuters) - A young woman wearing little more than her underwear and lurid makeup sits in a glass booth waiting for customers. What's for sale here?

It's not her body. It's just betelnut, the mildly narcotic seed from the fruit of the betel pepper which trucker drivers and labourers use to help them stay awake.

For years the "betelnut beauties" have been a common sight along busy highways across Taiwan, but now one local government has decided it's time to cover them up.

"People wanted the government to take action because it has affected social order and corrupted social values," said Bill Liao, deputy county mayor of northern Taoyuan -- home to the island's international airport.

"It's the first thing many people see when they get off the planes," Liao said. "This can't be good."

Aside from damaging the island's international image, Liao said the skimpily clad women caused car accidents and spurred juvenile crime. He said they attracted the attention of teenagers who got into fights, even though sex isn't generally on offer.

Rules now require the girls to cover their breasts, bellies and buttocks.

The trouble is, many of the girls have taken precious little notice and outside the county, the rules don't apply anyway.

EARN MORE, DRESS LESS

"I don't feel making those rules is necessary," complained betelnut seller Huang Ya-ling, 22, whose four years in the business have taught her the only way to make more money is to wear fewer clothes.

"Why do I dress like this?" she said in her purple and red underwear covered only by white lace. "Because men like it."

Huang's tiny roadside stand, Green Apple, is illuminated by neon even during the day to attract customers. Close by is another called the Forbidden City.

The new rules have drawn protests from some women's rights groups, arguing the Taoyuan government has stepped beyond its mark.

The regulations even sparked an editorial in the Asian Wall Street Journal which said they smacked of unnecessary government intervention and were against free enterprise.

"Whether (the new rules) succeed depends mostly on law enforcement," said Peng Tien-le, secretary-general of the Taoyuan Betelnut Association.

"As to whether the girls hurt our national image, I know there are nudist camps in the United States and in other countries. I don't know if people will view the United States as an erotic country."

sent to me by gekkogecko

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 10-31-2002, 07:15 PM
Just me.

Gosh, betelnut ... now why can't we have betelnut stands here? I might take more plane flights if that was at the end of the jetways. hee hee