Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2004, 09:08 PM
yada, yada, yada

Send a message via Yahoo to darogle
Tech Question About Home Networks

Ok, here's the deal. Since moving in with CGT, I set up a home network for us. We have a desktop, laptop and a Linksys router. All works fine, except for the internet sharing part. For the life of me I can't get it to work. We use AOL 9.0 dial up. I'm sure I just answered the better part of my question right then. LOL

Anyway... is there some trick to configuring the router settings or the shared internet connection settings in Windows XP to work with AOL????
Old 12-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Just want to enjoy life!

Not familiar with AOL at all, but with a router you shouldn't have to set much as long as you are both in the same IP subnet. Part of your problem might be the router, since Cisco bought out Lynsys there routers have been junk.

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.
E. E. Cummings

My Pictures

Picture requests

As Promised
Old 12-03-2004, 09:32 PM
here and there

[edit] Crap, I had a somewhat decent answer here (at least I thought so) and then re-read the orignal post and saw the dial-up portion of it, sorry... no help from here as I have no idea how to get a dial-up shared connection to work with the router.

As a thought, the router may be the problem and you might just want to be using a ethernet switch or the common side of the router (if it has a built in switch). The machine that is doing the dial-up is the connection point and the router will just get in the way of things.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Just want to enjoy life!

The one computer that has the modem in it has to have "Internet Connection Sharing" turned on, then from it to the router (out of the nick card) and you will have to statically set your IP addresses.

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.
E. E. Cummings

My Pictures

Picture requests

As Promised
Old 12-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Everybody Stretch!

The shin bone's connected to the calf bone...the calf bone's connected to the knee bone...

*blink, blink*

OK...OK...I was being nosey again and I KNOW I shouldn't have come in here...but I did...and now I feel like a deer in the headlights once again! Thanks a fuckin lot darogle!

Um...hope ya get it all worked out! Oh...and please ignore the ignorance of my initial contribution! *giggle*

P.S. Whenever I read the word "router"...I immediately remember I have to buy a plunge router for hubby for X-mas...so this wasn't a complete waste of your's and my time...eh?

OK...OK...I'm leaving...STOP PUSHING ME!!!!! OUCH! It does hurt when the door hits you in the ass!!!!!!!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 12-04-2004, 09:19 AM
Just want to enjoy life!

LOL@Lixy

E. E. Cummings

My Pictures

Picture requests

As Promised
Old 12-04-2004, 09:32 AM
Everybody Stretch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt
LOL@Lixy

Hey! Don't make me come back in here...I don't chew my cabbage twice!

*scratches head* My mother had some pretty peculiar sayings...eh? That one just came up from the bowels of my brain! Ewwwwww...now there's a wierder expression! Guess I'm a chip off the old block, huh? OMG...and now I'm stuck in cliche mode and completely off the topic again! Yikes!

*swings door open and runs fast...so as not to bruise the hiney again*

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 12-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Suprise Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LixyChick
Hey! Don't make me come back in here...I don't chew my cabbage twice!

*scratches head* My mother had some pretty peculiar sayings...eh? That one just came up from the bowels of my brain! Ewwwwww...now there's a wierder expression! Guess I'm a chip off the old block, huh? OMG...and now I'm stuck in cliche mode and completely off the topic again! Yikes!

*swings door open and runs fast...so as not to bruise the hiney again*

LMAO!!!! Don't feel bad sweety... I live with him!!!! He can only imagine your "deer in the headlights" look - he gets to see mine in person quite often!!! But, sometimes I get to see his - you see, I am the "software" gal and he is the "hardware" guy -

Old 12-04-2004, 10:31 AM
Everybody Stretch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanne
LMAO!!!! Don't feel bad sweety... I live with him!!!! He can only imagine your "deer in the headlights" look - he gets to see mine in person quite often!!! But, sometimes I get to see his - you see, I am the "software" gal and he is the "hardware" guy -

LOLOLOLOL! I love you guys! Now...show me his "hardware"!!!!!!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 12-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Rollercoasters ROCK!!!!!!

Red face

if you are running aol as your internet server you will have problems and i'm sorry to say but i don't know what the fix is all i know is we tried that here at home and there is something embedded in the aol shit that pretty much blocks the internet sharing process. we knocked our heads for close to a week before finding out from some tech site for either hp or aol or micro-frickin-soft msn anyway hope this sends you in the right direction let me know if there IS a fix since we never did get it worked out ourselves. at least past deciding that we would need a diferent isp that is. good luck. bg1

"ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE"

Old 12-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Mrs FussyPucker

I'm going to guess that you've got maybe a DSL router so you're only using the switch part of it so that's not going to cause any problems unless it is acting as the DHCP server. Is the Linksys router acting as a DHCP server? If so that might be the problem, from what I remember of internet connection sharing the main computer (the one with the modem and internet connection) acts as a DHCP server and assigns an IP address to the system wanting to share the connection. You might also want to check that both computers are set with the same workgroup name...... by default MS sets it to WORKGROUP but if one has been changed it can cause probelms.
Hope that helps )

M Y - N A U G H T Y - P I C T U R E S ! !
Old 12-04-2004, 07:41 PM
I make sexytime with you

Let me see if I have this correct...

One PC is connected via its network card to the router.

The other PC is connected via its network card to the router, and via its modem to your ISP, and has Windows' Internet Connection Sharing set up on it.

Correct?

If so, in order to use this configuration, I think you would have to configure the router to assign IP addresses to its internal interfaces as a DHCP client - your machine running Internet Connection Sharing is a DHCP server, your other machine has to have the default gateway for its network card set to the IP address of the interface of the router that it's connected to, which you wouldn't know until the router's started up and has been assigned addresses for its interfaces - if you can even configure it that way. There may even be more than that to do - it's hard to say without actually being there. My suggestion would be, as I believe others have given, to replace the router for now with a switch or hub (switches are better) - it will make life much simpler. Or, connect one PC to the other using a crossover cable.
I want to do something that matters
Old 12-04-2004, 09:07 PM
yada, yada, yada

Send a message via Yahoo to darogle
Lixy...that wasn't the door hittin' ya....It was me spanking that nice ass of yours. LMAO!!!

Thanks for the suggestions y'all...but I think Boilergirl hit the nail on the head. AOL SUCKS!!!! It was them and their shitty software over-riding the internet connection sharing portion. UGH!!!!
Old 12-04-2004, 11:36 PM
Turn it up!

Send a message via AIM to scotzoidman Send a message via Yahoo to scotzoidman
Hey! Oh well, it's A-O-helL...

If the theory does not conform to the facts, then the facts must be discarded.

No good deed ever goes unpunished

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, & beat you with experience.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Everybody Stretch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loulabelle
I'm going to guess that you've got maybe a DSL router so you're only using the switch part of it so that's not going to cause any problems unless it is acting as the DHCP server. Is the Linksys router acting as a DHCP server? If so that might be the problem, from what I remember of internet connection sharing the main computer (the one with the modem and internet connection) acts as a DHCP server and assigns an IP address to the system wanting to share the connection. You might also want to check that both computers are set with the same workgroup name...... by default MS sets it to WORKGROUP but if one has been changed it can cause probelms.
Hope that helps )

OK Ms. Smarty Pants! Seems when you swallow Fussy's love juice...you swallow a lot of his puter knowledge too! LOL! Damn G/F...I impressed!

~Thomas Dewar~