Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2007, 05:17 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Imus

anybody got an opinion on his recent drama?

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 04-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Leo was right

I've always thought the guy was a jackass and he did absolutely nothing to change that opinion this time around. Gotta admit when I first heard what he had said last week though that I was stunned that he would be so stupid as to say something like that.

The issue of racism is one that won't go away during my lifetime and, unfortunately, it's never that surprising to hear someone say something so stupid. The kicker is that someone would think they could actually get away with it on the air in this day and age. The guy is a jackass on many levels with this one.

Fire his ass!

No love, no friendship, can cross the path of our destiny without leaving some mark on it forever. ~~ Francois Mocuriac

Confucius say, "He who masturbate into cash register come into money."

An optimist looks at the glass and says it's half full. A pessimist looks at the glass and says it's half empty. A Cubs fan looks at the glass and says, "When's it gonna spill?"

Deus Impetitio Esuritori Nullus
Old 04-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Pixies Flirt

Send a message via AIM to 1nutworld
I agree that there is no place for his comments, as offensive as they were. He is now saying that they were made in a "comic" light, of course instead of apologizing, and that while it was inappropriate, it was just comedy.

I guess that while I don't agree that he should be fired, his suspension should be enough. He has apologized for making the comments, but I also don't think that is enough. I wonder if the comercial sponsors of his show will re-think about signing when the contracts are up?
Old 04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Leo was right

I'm sure his apology will be enough to save his job, whether it should be or not I'm not sure.

I'd like to see him get fired if for no other reason than that I wouldn't have to hear or see him anymore.

No love, no friendship, can cross the path of our destiny without leaving some mark on it forever. ~~ Francois Mocuriac

An optimist looks at the glass and says it's half full. A pessimist looks at the glass and says it's half empty. A Cubs fan looks at the glass and says, "When's it gonna spill?"

Last edited by IowaMan : 04-10-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:10 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

What is strange to me is that people are concentrating on the "nappy" part of his comment but frankly as a woman I am offended when *any* woman is spoken of as a ho by someone who does not even know them. To me it's offensive in a wide variety of ways. My students and I discussed it and we decided he *can* say whatever he wants and we can choose not to listen or support a company that puts up with one of their employees making statements like that on their behalf/their time/their money.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 04-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Manwhore

I don't recall ever hearing of him until now.

I think he's a jerkface, but I don't think he should be fired. If he's fired some other station will hire him for ratings because people will tune in to hear the next stupid thing he says. People need to stop listening to his show and then he will disappear.

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these
Old 04-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Everybody Stretch!

I've heard about Imus and his "comedic racism" through the years. He used to ride his pet dinosaur to the radio studio.

As far back as I can remember, Imus has made racist comments in the guise of comedy. Comics (stand-up and TV) both scowl and back him because of their position on stage and, now, in radio.

I've listened to all sides...including Rev. Al, Jesse Jackson and some people in the black community I have never heard of till now.

The US airwaves are on ORANGE alert because of the FCC rulings lately (language and content according to discussion) with no real rules until they are violated. The double standard is in effect when it comes to race and "assumed racist violation". There is no real steadfast rule as to what is acceptable and what isn't and who can say it and who can't.

In otherwords...the FCC has taken terrestrial radio hostage and the owners of those stations don't have a fucking clue what can and can't be said. When the station owners get wind of a possible infraction, they go into action and reprimand the perpetrator. When the media gets wind of an on-air infraction that the owners of the station have reprimanded the on-air host of...the world gets wind of it and it takes off like a missle!

My point? Not everyone listens to Imus. He claims a certain demographic...but he exaggerates...TRUST ME!

Now that he's been "outed"...Rev. Al and Jesse Jackson, and everyone else who has no real job but to be an advocate when the media can hear them, has screamed for Imus to be fired.

If Imus is fired for this infraction...we can take several more steps back in the process of trying to irradicate segregation and racisim.

YES...Imus is an ass! He speaks and then I think I can actually hear him thinking to himself, "WTF did I just say". If we fired everyone for thinking like an ass and saying asshole things...this country would cease to exist! Can you say G.W?

So Imus is a racist and has no respect for women? How does that really hurt us? Us...meaning...the people who never heard him actually say what he said till the media played it over and over again. And Us...our black community who can't/shouldn't possibly think that Imus...IMUS FOR CHRIST'S SAKE...has any influence on changing the values of any of his listeners or non-listeners?

If we give Imus the attention now...we give him a power he never really had. It might be too late for that now. But with all the more attention this gets, Imus feels more powerful...even if it's not true and it's fleeting.

Pardon my rawness on this subject...but...Fuck Imus and Rev. Al and Jesse Jacson for making this a national issue!

And BTW...Rev. Al and Jesse are NOT pure of racist speak! They still have a job!

WHAT IS THEIR JOB AGAIN...EXACTLY?????????

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 04-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Insatiable

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LixyChick
If we give Imus the attention now...we give him a power he never really had. It might be too late for that now. But with all the more attention this gets, Imus feels more powerful...even if it's not true and it's fleeting.

Pardon my rawness on this subject...but...Fuck Imus and Rev. Al and Jesse Jacson for making this a national issue!

And BTW...Rev. Al and Jesse are NOT pure of racist speak! They still have a job!

WHAT IS THEIR JOB AGAIN...EXACTLY?????????

Amen, sister.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Tells it all

U.S. Constitution: First Amendment

First Amendment - Religion and Expression

Amendment Text | Annotations
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It's as simple as changing the channel

Live Life, hearses don't come with luggage racks.
The second mouse always gets the cheese
Old 04-10-2007, 11:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Jude30
Yes but if too many people start changing the channel the company loses money. So the question becomes fire him now or wait till they lose listeners. Unfortunately he's likely to gain listeners from this because like Aqua said people will listen just to hear what stupid shit he will say next.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Loungin' Around

Likely this is a ploy because his ratings are going down. Ignore people who make racist and stupid comments and they either give up or go away.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 04-11-2007, 03:23 AM
Huggable!

Any publicity is good publicity.

He is getting bad press for what he said but many people who had never heard of him now know who he is and many will tune in. So basically he'll be doing good once this passes. It's now a name heard around the water coolers at work and the dinner tables at home. Free publicity just for saying something stupid.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:04 AM
Suprise Me

What bothers me the most (other than the comment itself) is that there is more here than blatant racism. From what I heard on the news, the producer made a remark first regarding the ho's and Imus took it one step further and added the ''nappy headed''. What of the producer? Where are the women's advocates here? Gloria, where are you when we need you?

As Lixy said (((LIXY))), the Revs' jumped on this like, well white on rice, the moment 'nappy headed' was uttered. GET A LIFE! What about songs that refer to nigga? Shame on them for concentrating on the nappy part and ignoring the ho part! IMO, if this is an issue, it is an issue for ALL women. Notice, it is the men who are having an issue with the nappy part, the women are concentrating on the ho part. Why isn't there an outcry toward these fine African American men for that? Again, one part of the comment isn't any better (or worse) than the other. Fire the producer! Make him go on air and apologize to over half the nation!

Old 04-11-2007, 04:15 AM
Leo was right

You're absolutely correct Cheyanne. There should've been more of an outcry about that portion of his comments.

My first thought actually was of anger because he was in a round about way attacking Coach Stringer, whom I greatly admire. She's a great lady. I was fortunate enough to meet her when I was in college and she was coaching the Hawkeyes. She had come to my college to help coach a clinic and I was in the TV dept. and got to interview her have adored the lady from the second she smiled and extended her hand to shake mine.

I still say fire the jackass. Like everyone else said, this will only help bring the jerk into the spotlight and increase his listening audience. Fire his ass and if someone else wants to take the chance of hiring him to their station then so be it. If you or I were to be giving a talk in front of a group of people and we made those kinds of remarks, we wouldn't be suspended for two weeks, we'd be in the unemployment line. Fire his ass!

Old 04-11-2007, 04:43 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

I have no problem with the constitution and believe everyone has the right to speak their mind. That being said, with rights come responsibilities. He should be held accountable for what he says. That is part of what he is paid to do, speak publicly. As am I. If I were to speak in front of my class about my local black women's basketball team the way he did, and people took offense (and boy would they) my boss would then have the responsibility to decide if what I am saying represents the message she wants given. Did I have the right to say it? Sure. Do people have the right to chastise me for it? Sure that is their right as well. If free speech is a right, then I have the right to say how I feel about him being paid by a company to say what he says.

To say people can do/say whatever they want because it is a constitutional right and not be held accountable for it is wrong. I have the right to bear arms, but once I use those arms I am responsible for the results. Rights and responsibilities go hand and hand.

~>My Scribbles<~