Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 06:33 AM
Suprise Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndhy
19 minutes, jodi picoult. it's about a highschool shooting, really forces one to wonder if they will ever truly know their own children.

I finished that one up as well. I thought it was well done, but eerie and very realistic and sad.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 AM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
i recently read my sister's keeper by her as well, chey. another great book that raises some seriously interesting questions. the end left me devastated.

i just finished my secret garden this morning. written by nancy friday, it's the first book written by a woman to compile and explore the realm of female sexual fantasy. i enjoyed some of it. a bit antiquated and slightly exclusive, it even had some undertones of racism. but considering when it was first written, it does a good job of exploring sexual fantasy without casting judgment. some of the women's stories broke my heart and others shocked, but it was nevertheless fascinating and i could literally feel how much empowerment and relief some of these women felt just by being able to write down some of their most private thoughts and know that they aren't "freaks." i have two more by her on stand-by (forbidden flowers and women on top).

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 01-18-2008, 04:30 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
I think I read Woman on Top.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 01-18-2008, 04:33 PM
pixie of the wood

that memorable huh?

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 01-18-2008, 04:34 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Is it a collection of short stories? What year is it?

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 01-18-2008, 04:39 PM
pixie of the wood

early 90's and i believe it's another compilation of sexual fantasies with added commentary/observation by friday: like secret garden but after the sexual revolution and at the the height of women in the workplace, highlighting how female fantasy may have changed since, or been affected by, their new positions of power.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:43 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

It's not the same book. I think the one I read was just a compilation of erotica written either by or for women. It was like 10 years ago that I read it.

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 PM
pixie of the wood

adding on about secret garden and nancy friday here.

i was just reading the intro to the next book, forbidden flowers, and some of what i read has reinforced and validated what i am trying to teach my own children about their sexuality (and yes, although very young, i have learned they do have some very strong ideas and feelings regarding their own sexuality)

Old 01-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Missing the Angels

The Hardcore Diaries by Mick Foley
Old 01-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Melted

Today I bought Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey.

Si à travers nos veines coule encore le sang...
Si dans les jeux d'enfants on entend encore l'accent...
Si nous sentons encore l'espoir de nos grands-parents...
Si dans les voiles du large souffle encore le vent...
Y'a jamais eu de Grand Dérangement.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:49 PM

The latest Flinx novel of Alan Dean Foster.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Melted

I'm about 150 pages into Kushiel's Dart, but my friend told me I needed to read Murder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie, since it is set on an archaeological site. Apparently Christie's husband was an archaeologist!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:25 PM
pixie of the wood

eat, pray, love by elizabeth gilbert. i'm diggin it.
my mom had given me a whole slew of books recently, one of them being some pile of crap by danielle steel. awful stuff. but eat, pray, love was buried in there and i have to remember to thank her when they come to visit tomorrow (i probably won't mention the steaming pile of crap though ... gift horses and all that)

Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Loungin' Around

"Rethinking the Sales FOrce" by Neil Rackham. A little dated, but has some great ideas.

Yeah, I'm a nerd

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Melted

I'm reading The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (as recommended by wyndhy!) - I really like it, I'm going to finish it tonight. Next I'll probably read Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose.

I'm reading a few cookbooks too, and I really really love The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant by Judy Rodgers!!!