Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Just me.

Good show here in Illinois (at least near Peoria). Looked just like the picture at the site PF recommended. Beautiful. Glad to have seen it. (Although I wish it would do it when it was warmer. )
Old 11-09-2003, 09:44 AM
The Bob Ucker of pixies

Send a message via Yahoo to 2-4-tea
I took my sons t the Science Center to see it from up top where the obsourity (sp) is it was quite a site and they really enjoyed it also it was very cold could use some warming up.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:55 AM
1 of 8,111,103,258

Quote:
Originally posted by grumbleguts
missed it because i am in the southern hemisphere and the 11th day of the eighth month (August) has long gone

It sure has GG. But maybe you’ll be able to catch it in the 8th day of the eleventh month (November).
Opps! Guess you missed that too. You’re going to have to move a little to the east.

LMAO

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 11-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Huggable!

We all went out & sat in my driveway to watch it. Nearly froze to death and ended up not staying out there the whole time but running in & out of the house at 5 min. intervals.

When the 3 were completely lined up & the moon was in full shadow, there was a reddish glow all around its edge. This was the sunsets & sunrises occurring all around the world. (At least thats what they said on my local news channel & I thought it was cool.)

teddy
Old 11-09-2003, 04:29 PM

Teddy Bear,

I wonder what it must have looked like if standing on the Moon.

Just imagine it, as the Earth passed in front of the Sun, the light would have snapped out out, and the Earth would have seemed like a circle of brightness or ring of fire. The refraction of the Sun through the Earth’s atmosphere would have created some sort of ring of color – I’m uncertain what the color(s) would have been, bout I’m willing to bet that it was impressive!

I wonder if any of the great cities, or perhaps the Eastern Seaboard of the US, or maybe the lights of Europe would have been visible.

It is at times like these that I regret being too old to leave the Earth!
Old 11-09-2003, 04:42 PM
1 of 8,111,103,258

@#*BRATZ-A FRATZ-A CRUBUL FUTS#!@

It’s a glorious, clear, bright day today. Very unlike last night with a cloud-ceiling of 8m. Had to watch the eclipse on remote cam.

Isn’t it wonderful though. I know Edwin Hubble would have LOVED to had remote cam on many a crisp eve. Only us amateurs put on snow suites to star gaze now. And more data is recorded each hour than was gathered in a year before 1960. FANTASTIC! JUST FANTASTIC!!

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Old 11-09-2003, 05:25 PM
Huggable!

zoom-boom to the moon Alice!

Quote:
Originally posted by jseal
Teddy Bear,

I wonder what it must have looked like if standing on the Moon.

Just imagine it, as the Earth passed in front of the Sun, the light would have snapped out out, and the Earth would have seemed like a circle of brightness or ring of fire. The refraction of the Sun through the Earth’s atmosphere would have created some sort of ring of color – I’m uncertain what the color(s) would have been, bout I’m willing to bet that it was impressive!

I wonder if any of the great cities, or perhaps the Eastern Seaboard of the US, or maybe the lights of Europe would have been visible.

It is at times like these that I regret being too old to leave the Earth!

jseal,

wow, what a unique thought..... standing on the moon and looking back at earth. It would be incredibly beautiful I'd think. I'm taking a wild guess that the refraction of the sun through the earth's atmosphere would be like a rainbow..... capturing the whole spectrum of colors.

Have there ever been any space flights at the time of an eclipse? Are there pictures of this somewhere? I do recall seeing pictures of great cities taken from space, not from the moon though, I think just from the space-craft as it obited.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh PF...... ya got any insight on this? Pics perhaps.

teddy
Old 11-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Insatiable

Saw the eclipse last night...spectacular up here in the northern latitudes...

rabbit
Old 11-09-2003, 08:50 PM
1 of 8,111,103,258

That would make for a spectacular shot. Neat thought jseal.

I believe the earth halo, as seen from the moon, would largely be reddish orange. You are exactly right that the longer red light waves would be refracted by our nitrogen atmosphere. But it would most likely absorb the shorter blue waves. I don’t know if we had any photo capable satellite equipment in alignment at the precise time, but the same emissions you saw reflected back from the moon last night, has to be an impressive aura around the earth.

There are a ton of sites with pictures of and from space. Everything from artsy prints and poster to GPS monument maps. Here’s a couple, but do your own search for the type you’re interested in.
http://www.boondocksnet.com/cb/post...ce_regions.html
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/

You can see your house with this one.
http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/clickmap/

Here’s one of my favorite pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ev8911_np_layered_night.jpg (78.4 KB, 149 views)

Old 11-10-2003, 12:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Grumble
mmm how far east is that PF???? get to new Zealand and then a very lot further I get to south america Dunno if that will be a whole lot of help LOL
Old 11-10-2003, 01:36 AM
1 of 8,111,103,258

You could slide over to Pago Pago. That would give you the extra day you sounded like you needed. LOL

I was actually joking about the date you gave, but you are right that you would have to have been in South America for this eclipse at least.