User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 11:27 PM
1 of 8,111,103,258

^^^
^^
^

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 03-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Turn it up!

Send a message via AIM to scotzoidman Send a message via Yahoo to scotzoidman
Now seems like a good time to bring up a perhaps less versitile device, but all the more important for anyone who doesn't see a need for a multitester...the simple outlet tester. Nowhere nearly as talented, but a great thing to have handy when it becomes neccessary to check an outlet for juice. Is the light/device/appliance DOA, or have I just popped a breaker? That old switch cover is nasty looking, how 'bout a new one from Home Depot? The outlet tester might save you a few bucks, save your life, or just keep you from trying a new hairstyle...

Another makeshift device for checking to see which breaker controls which circuit is a good ole fashioned plug in radio...plug it in, tune to a strong station & crank it up...that way you can hear for yourself if you've cut power to an outlet without running back & forth from one end of the house (or up & down the stairs)...

If the theory does not conform to the facts, then the facts must be discarded.

No good deed ever goes unpunished

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, & beat you with experience.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:42 AM
1 of 8,111,103,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotzoidman
Now seems like a good time to bring up a perhaps less versitile device, ....the simple outlet tester. ..... handy when it becomes neccessary to check an outlet for juice. Is the light/device/appliance DOA, or have I just popped a breaker? That old switch cover is nasty looking, ....Another makeshift device for checking to see which breaker controls which circuit is a good ole fashioned plug in radio...plug it in, tune to a strong station & crank it up...that way you can hear for yourself if you've cut power to an outlet without running back & forth from one end of the house (or up & down the stairs)...

Good items Zoid. I think you're talking about a 'wiggy' or Voltage Tester. Handy pocket item to check for live lines, but be careful with switches. You only have two ends of the hot side and you won't get a reading unless you can ground one side of your wiggy for each one to see which is hot and which goes to the appliance. You are safer making your test at the appliance and trying the switch 'on' and 'off'.

I've used your radio setup more than once when I was only trying to locate one outlet breaker. Saves a lot of steps as most service panels are in the basement. If you have to identify all the breakers in a box, you can pay for a 'sniffer' or Circuit Breaker Finder with the first couple uses. Talk about a lot of running in a three story house.

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Old 03-01-2008, 03:08 AM
1 of 8,111,103,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by osuche
We have a multimeter...and an oscilloscope. .....And we never so anything more advanced with any of them than design and solder circuit boards and hang the occasional picture...

She has an oscilloscope, does breadboard work, has a yummy ass, wears silky candy wrappers and most important, has a sexy mind.

I love you!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:57 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
i married a carpenter turned engineer. we got some shit.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 03-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Loungin' Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantyFanatic

I love you!

I love you too, Mr. Kindred Spirit.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 03-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Turn it up!

Quote:
Good items Zoid. I think you're talking about a 'wiggy' or Voltage Tester. Handy pocket item to check for live lines, but be careful with switches. You only have two ends of the hot side and you won't get a reading unless you can ground one side of your wiggy for each one to see which is hot and which goes to the appliance. You are safer making your test at the appliance and trying the switch 'on' and 'off'.

Both the links you put in come up for me as "item not availible", but I think you got the idea. The reason I like my "wiggy" (if that's what you wanna call it!) is because like you said, it's a pocket item...a multimeter actually does a better job, but I want to carry all the neccessary tools to the work area in 2 trips or less, & when I open up the vipers' pit & need to figure out which of the snakes might bite me, I don't have a third hand to juggle the 'meter & its two leads

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, & beat you with experience.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Missing the Angels

I must be tired cause I thought Scotz just said he don't have a third hand to juggle the meter & its two heads.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Turn it up!

Actually it's the live wires that are like snakes with two heads...

Old 03-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Everybody Stretch!

Well ya know Mr. Lixy's got one for all occasions!

More specifically...he's even got one just for blasting!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 03-02-2008, 04:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Jude30
My father is an airplane mechanic, my brother is a car mechanic, and I just like taking shit apart and putting it back together again.

I've got at least two multimeters, as well as a couple of circuit testers. I've got all the basic tools I need to work on my SUV. In the past year I've replaced every part of the electrical system except the alternator. Changed front and rear brakes, and some other minor repairs. As long as I have instructions I have found there are very few things I can't fix.

I also built the computer I'm currently using. I loved doing that and I've been trying to talk friends into letting me build them one for the past year because I had so much fun doing this one. I just made a parts list for a friend this morning on newegg.com which I got to come in at under $500 with an OS.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Turn it up!

Quote:
If you become stymied when a light bulb burns out, tell us that. If you built your own home and car, share that with us. It's not about what you do or don't enjoy doing personally or professionally, but about what you readily have to do some basic things with. Also what do you just consider the normal 'lawn mower and duct tape' type items around a home.
I was up to 3 separate tool boxes by 1990, & when my father passed away in '92 I aquired at least a couple more. He also left me some very special hand woodworking tools (he apprenticed as a carpenter back in the late 1920s when there were few power tools avaalible, & he also seemed to be suspicious of them, having seen some fellows alter their fingers in them )...one item I can't let go of despite never finding a use for is a 7 foot long 2-man buck saw...he once had me help him use it to cut down an old tree, & when he thought I wasn't putting enough elbow grease to it he said, "If you're gonna ride, get a saddle!" He later admitted his father had admonished him the same way, so it was kind of passing on a family tradition...if I have any tree cutting or trimming to do now, I don't have the time or energy to do it by hand, when chain saws are so cheap & widely available...although I do share some of Daddy's distrust of anything that can turn ugly on me so fast...

Old 03-03-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotzoidman
I was up to 3 separate tool boxes by 1990, & when my father passed away in '92 I aquired at least a couple more. He also left me some very special hand woodworking tools (he apprenticed as a carpenter back in the late 1920s when there were few power tools avaalible, & he also seemed to be suspicious of them, having seen some fellows alter their fingers in them )...one item I can't let go of despite never finding a use for is a 7 foot long 2-man buck saw...he once had me help him use it to cut down an old tree, & when he thought I wasn't putting enough elbow grease to it he said, "If you're gonna ride, get a saddle!" He later admitted his father had admonished him the same way, so it was kind of passing on a family tradition...if I have any tree cutting or trimming to do now, I don't have the time or energy to do it by hand, when chain saws are so cheap & widely available...although I do share some of Daddy's distrust of anything that can turn ugly on me so fast...

I have my grandfathers tool box he carried working for the WPA,some of my most cherished tools,that he took the time to teach me to use and how to care for them. One was a 2-man crosscut saw,I recentlly sharpened and took to a tractor show on school day.Watch a couple of 8-10 yr olds try to use it never laughed so hard !
Old 03-03-2008, 08:46 PM
is not this trim anymore!

I can't imagine life without my multimeter!

Or my wiggy, for that matter.

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

Complete surrender should not just come at moments in which one faces overwhelming odds, but in the calm when it seems one is personally in complete control of one's life.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:10 PM
1 of 8,111,103,258

^^^