Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2004, 05:59 AM
Southern Belleified

Gibson, God and big bucks!

Passion furore surprises Gibson

Hollywood actor and director Mel Gibson has hit back at critics of his controversial film, The Passion of The Christ, complaining some threw mud without having even seen the movie.

The film, starring Jim Caviezel, Maia Morgenstern and Monica Bellucci, is Gibson's interpretation of the final 12 hours in the life of Jesus Christ and is based on Gospel narratives.

Gibson, a Catholic, has fielded sharp criticism over his interpretation in the lead-up to the film's release on February 25, Ash Wednesday.

Some Jewish leaders have expressed concern that the movie could spark anti-Semitism.

However, other religious groups support the movie, saying it follows closely the literal interpretation of the Gospel.

Gibson, in an interview with Readers Digest magazine, said he was surprised by the reaction to the film.

"It kind of put me back on my heels a little bit. I expected some level of turbulence because whenever one delves into religion and politics - people's deeply held beliefs - you're going to stir things up."

Most surprising for Gibson was the amount of attention the film received prior to its release.

"It was a surprise, to have shots being fired over the bow while I was still filming, and then to have various loud voices in the press - people who hadn't seen the work - really slinging mud."

Following concerns from lobby groups, Gibson cut a controversial scene about Jews from the film.

The scene had been a focus of allegations that the graphically violent movie would fuel anti-Jewish bigotry by portraying Jews as the instigators of Christ's death.

Jewish leaders had warned that the passage from Matthew 27:25 was the historic source for the allegations of deicide and Jewish collective guilt in the death of Jesus.

Also sparking concern, Gibson's father, Hutton, said in an interview with The New York Times, he doubted the scale of the Holocaust during the Second World War.

"My dad taught me my faith, and I believe what he taught me," Gibson said.

"I'll slug it out until my heart is black and blue if anyone ever tries to hurt him."

While defending his father, Gibson said there was no doubt millions died during the Holocaust.

"I have friends and parents of friends who have numbers on their arms," he said.

"Yes, of course. Atrocities happened. War is horrible. The Second World War killed tens of millions of people. Some of them were Jews in concentration camps. Many people lost their lives."

Another criticism has been that it is too graphic and violent.

The film depicts the final moments of Jesus' life, including his crucifixion, in detail.

To that, Gibson said it had to be.

"That's the reality of it," he said.

"From many accounts I've read, I think it was actually more violent than what you're going to see in this film."

The film contains dialogue only in Latin, Hebrew and Aramaic, the common speech of ancient Palestine, something Gibson believes will create a more realistic feel.

"It gave me an extra impetus to have the visual aspect of the film be very strong, so that it wasn't as dependent on the spoken word," he said.

"And I find that the film has a tremendous amount of clarity because of that."

The Australian edition of Readers Digest will be released next Wednesday, coinciding with the international release of the film on the same day.

Gibson defends cross vision

AFP - Mel Gibson said critics who found his controversial film The Passion of the Christ anti-Semitic were missing the point, and defended his violent depiction of the crucifixion, saying he had deliberately set out to make a movie that would shock.

Decrying anti-Semitism as an "un-Christian" sin that went against the tenets of his faith, Gibson told ABC's Diane Sawyer in a Primetime interview that he had never intended the film to trigger a "blame game" over responsibility for Christ's death.

"It's about faith, hope, love and forgiveness. That's what this film is about. It's about Christ's sacrifice," he said, in excerpts of the interview released ahead of its broadcast on Monday evening.

The Passion, which gets its US release on February 25, purports to be a faithful and graphic account of Christ's last 12 hours on earth.

Jewish leaders who have attended advance screenings have voiced concerns that its portrayal of the Jews' role in Christ's execution could stir up anti-Semitic sentiment.

Gibson, who belongs to an ultra-conservative Catholic group that does not recognise the reforms of Vatican II, poured $US25 million of his own money into making the film, which he directed.

In comments to be broadcast alongside the interview, Abraham Foxman, national director of the Jewish Anti-Defamation League, argued that while Gibson may not be anti-Semitic, he was being slightly naive about the film's potential impact.

"This is his vision, his faith; he's a true believer, and I respect that," Foxman said. "But there are times that there are unintended consequences. I believe that this movie has the potential to fuel anti-Semitism, to reinforce it."

Asked by Sawyer who he considered culpable for Christ's death, Gibson said mankind as a whole was responsible.

Jesus Christ "was beaten for our iniquities," Gibson said. "He was wounded for our transgressions and by his wounds we are healed. That's the point of the film. It's not about pointing fingers."

The star of the Lethal Weapon series and Braveheart acknowledged that the depiction of Christ's punishment and eventual crucifixion was "very violent" but insisted that the movie's R-rating was enough to warn cinemagoers in advance.

"I wanted it to be shocking," he said. "And I also wanted it to be extreme.

"I wanted it to push the viewer over the edge so that they see the enormity - the enormity of that sacrifice - to see that someone could endure that and still come back with love and forgiveness, even through extreme pain and suffering and ridicule."

Gibson traced the genesis of The Passion back to his own spiritual crisis 13 years ago when he became suicidal and came close to throwing himself out of a window.

"I was looking down thinking, 'Man, this is just easier this way'," he said. "You have to be mad, you have to be insane, to despair in that way. But that is the height of spiritual bankruptcy. There's nothing left."

Those feelings led him to reexamine Christianity, and ultimately to create The Passion - "my vision, with God's help" of the final hours in the life of Jesus.

"This is my version of what happened, according to the Gospels and what I wanted to show," he said.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:20 AM
Everybody Stretch!

Very contraversial topic......but then you wouldn't expect anything less from Mel! He makes good movies and I don't think this one will be any different! And just like the bible......some will interpret it one way and some will interpret it another.

I know there are priests and ministers in my area recommending that their congregation's see the film with an open mind before they judge it based on the media hype about anti-semitism.

Damn the media for missing the point.....again!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 02-18-2004, 08:31 AM

Catch22,

Given the current tide of political correctness, it seems somewhat disingenuous of Mr. Gibson to claim surprise that his film controversial. That some of the criticism originated from people who had not yet seen what they were criticizing is not unusual, even if it may be intellectually unsound.

The relations between Jews and Christians has beet strongly influenced by rather different interpretations of the Passion of Jesus Christ over the last few centuries. I would have though that Mr. Gibson should have anticipated some criticism, even perhaps some intolerance.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:39 AM
Southern Belleified

It is a good way to get people to go see a film. That they may otherwise not.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:57 AM

Catch22,

I suspect you have it there.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:22 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
I think his daddy just sealed his fate.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 02-19-2004, 05:09 PM
Grumble's favorite curves

Quote:
Originally posted by jseal
Catch22,

Given the current tide of political correctness, it seems somewhat disingenuous of Mr. Gibson to claim surprise that his film controversial. That some of the criticism originated from people who had not yet seen what they were criticizing is not unusual, even if it may be intellectually unsound.

The relations between Jews and Christians has beet strongly influenced by rather different interpretations of the Passion of Jesus Christ over the last few centuries. I would have though that Mr. Gibson should have anticipated some criticism, even perhaps some intolerance.

First let me say that I am a big fan of Mel's, I think that he gives a great deal to his craft. That being said, it is very disingenuous of him to make statements of suprise. Approximately 18 months ago the story of what he was doing was reported and even then people were up in arms about it. If Mel chooses to explore some part of his inner faith (and would like to take others with him), I support him, but I find it very disappointing that he would hide away from the reprecussions of his choices.

As for the movie itself, the topic is controversial but I've never had a problem with people delving into controversial topics, and individuals have the right to veiw the movie or not. I think this is one I won't be waiting in line for.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Everybody Stretch!

Quote:
"It kind of put me back on my heels a little bit. I expected some level of turbulence because whenever one delves into religion and politics - people's deeply held beliefs - you're going to stir things up."

I think Mel was "put back on his heels" at someone calling him an anti-semitic........NOT that there would be people up in arms about the movie's content!!!! I am sure he knew it would cause an uproar....and to be bold here....I don't find anything disingenuous about his reaction to the misinterpretations that have already been brought up......sight unseen, as yet, by the masses. Why should he have to defend this media hyped bullshit? The media gets a hold on a catch phrase (anti-semitism....in this case) and it's infused in the minds of those who choose to believe it before they've even seen it! I've always thought of Mr. Gibson as one of the few deep souls amoungst his peers of disingenuous actors! He puts his heart and soul into a flim....and I can't find fault with that, even if I don't particularly care for the content!

Again I say....this movie is up for interpretation....just as the bible itself is!

My 2 cents!

~Thomas Dewar~

Last edited by LixyChick : 02-19-2004 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:17 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Has anyone heard his father's interview? His father's words were definitely ones of an anti-semite. Many people will associate him ...many will feel that the apple must not fall far from the tree.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 02-19-2004, 06:27 PM

Lilith,

Perhaps if they saw the movie, and then formed an opinion ,,,
Old 02-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Everybody Stretch!

I heard what he said Lil. And....then they interviewed Mel and he made his feelings clear......that he loves his dad and would fight to the death for him if anyone tried to harm him for his opinions.....but that in Mel's heart it would be a sin to be anti-semitic!

I also heard an interview with the actress who played Jesus's mother in the movie and she happens to be jewish. She said she hoped she knew Mel enough to know that he didn't hire her because he needed her to back his movie and prove his forthrightness......but that he hired her because she was right for the role. She has no ill will towards Mel....and she doesn't like the insinuations directed toward him!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 02-19-2004, 06:34 PM
Just me.

Thanks, Lixy. I have such respect for Mel and didn't want to believe anything negative. I'm sure, from what I've heard, that the movie is pretty graphic and attempts to be realistic based on biblical accounts ... but I can't believe he meant it as anything more than the most realistic portrayal possible. Reckon we'll just have to wait until it's release and find out.

I'm betting that the media, as so often happens, is feeding the fires to sell air time or newpapers. I've got so little respect for the media anymore.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:51 PM
~~Smokin'~~

Send a message via Yahoo to paprclphd
I agree guys! This move will be a controversial topic because of our society. I plan to see the movie, I am a little worried about how graphic it is going to be. However, I do think that its just a movie and people can choose whether or not they would like to see it. Curiosity is going to get my $8 plus popcorn, and that is what it's all about in the long run!

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:21 PM

dicksbro,

I am minded of General John Shalikashvili. In 1993, he succeeded General Powell as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, a post he held until his retirement in 1997.

When President Clinton appointed him, there was some particularly mean-spirited comments made – not about him, but his father – who had made anti-Semitic comments. In Poland. Before WWII. As if that somehow suggested that General Shalikashvili was unfit for duty. Even by the rock-bottom standards accepted inside the Washington Beltway, I felt it was scraping the bottom of the barrel.

While I am more than a little suspicious of Mr. Gibson’s "surprise," I find pitiful those who would deride the movie because of his father’s intemperate comments.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:47 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

His father's comments were unbelievably disrespectful. I have a serious problem with people who do not fully realize or attempt to realize the tremendous impact that the holocaust has had not only on the Jewish culture but of the entire world. When we deny and turn a blind eye to genocide it is as good as sanctioning it, IMHO.

ABC's coverage of his father's views

~>My Scribbles<~