Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 05:39 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
The Frugal Perv

I am working really hard to be as frugal as possible but to still get the things I need and really really want. I'm no longer being frivilous in my spending habits. If I really want something I will still get it but not on a whim.

I'm starting in the kitchen. I went to WalMart today and did a lot of research before I went. I am hunting delicious recipes that can be made on the cheap.

I also want to buy/make/make do things as frugally as possible.

I want to spend $$ on the things that matter. I figure if I start now, that trip to Italy will happen sooner than later.

Are any of you cheap/frugal/practical?

Tell me your secrets...

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 01-19-2009, 06:56 PM

well i dont have any specific recipes
but i can tell u what saves money
make stews and soups more often
they seem liek they use a lot of food to make but they make so many servings that its worth it
so basically anythign that will feed you for 3 or more meals will save u money
chili and boiled dinner works too
beef stroganoff made with hamberg is also a good money saver
sorry i dont have any specific suggestions but you can find some good recipes on the internet
Old 01-19-2009, 06:57 PM

almost forgot beef, chicken, and turkey potpies made from leftovers are both good and money saving
Old 01-19-2009, 11:47 PM
Call me FWM :)

When making bolognese sauce this time of year I make it in bulk and freeze it in family-sized portions. I add shredded carrots and finely chopped (or shredded) rutabaga to pad out the meat and make it go further. Lots of mushrooms, too, and extra cans of chopped tomatoes.

A cheaper version of bolognese can be made by replacing the meat with lentils. I tend to use the green ones and a small amount of red. The green ones have a better texture, imo

Root vegetables bought at their cheapest can be chopped small and frozen, to use later when the prices at the store have shot up

Check out end-of-day bargains at the store. Meat and bread can usually be bought pretty reasonably at a knock-down price at the end of the working day. Freeze these for use at a later date

Watch portion sizes. Try to find a guide of portion sizes and measure everything for a week or so, re-learning what a 'normal' portion looks like. This will save calories as well as cash

Buy veggies in season

If you find you have bananas starting to overripen, peel them and freeze them to use later in smoothies

Make soup or stew in bulk and freeze. You could add pearl barley to either of these to make them go further

Take a packed lunch instead of eating out

Make cookies instead of buying them and if you make a large amount, freeze some then take out a few each time you need some. Same for cupcakes

Make your own surface cleaners, there are countless recipes on the internet for homemade cleaners, or for speed, buy a large multi purpose cleaner, put a small amount in a spray bottle and fill with water to get a surface cleaner at a fraction of the cost of buying a ready-mixed one

Wash dishcloths at 140F to kill germs and reuse several times

Spend a small amount of time planning your weekly or monthly meals and shop accordingly. Know what's in your freezer and cupboards and take this into account when planning. Leftovers from the evening before make perfect 'free' food to take with you for lunch the following day

Eggs are cheap and healthy. Make omelette/frittata using various leftovers from throughout the week, meat/veg/potatoes and serve with salad for a quick, easy and light evening meal

If you have fruit or veggies looking past their best, they're probably still ok to eat cooked up to a certain point so even if they're a little wrinkly, chop them and add them to soups or stews, or bake fruit in the oven and serve with yoghurt for a low-fat dessert. Apples that have gone slightly wrinkly are great for this - add sultanas/raisins and a little cinnamon too

I'll post more if I think of anymore
Old 01-24-2009, 08:04 AM

Cook enough dinner portions so that those who are able to take leftovers to work the next day for lunch can.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:17 PM

Eat out at friends places often.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
Tell me your secrets...

Two words: Sam's Club.

High quality, good deals to be had if you know what things cost.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Tons of Fun - squared!

Send a message via Yahoo to MommyMaggie
Remember to clean out the kitchen - often.

If you go to Sam's club but don't use all of it and toss it - not a good thing.

However, if you really are going to eat that 5 lbs of pine nuts more power to ya!

I suggest cleaning out the kitchen right before a trip - serves many purposes...you know what you have, you have the visual of what you tossed and any sort of preplanning is amazing

I'm huge on coupons too, but they can be a hassle.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:07 AM

Walk a neighbourhood (not your own) with your walkabout phone. When your phone rings, because by chance you share a frequency, answer it and argue with the person on the other end, unless it is a Morman or salesperson, in which case you immediately accept all offers.

You hang up and immediately ring MommyMaggie, asking for all things IKEA related because you're not paying the bill.

Did I mention that retirement's fun?
Old 06-02-2009, 03:19 AM
1 of 8,111,103,258

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 06-03-2009, 01:55 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
we are effin broke and doing anything we can to spend less. i need a job, like now. i want to start up a licensed preschool but the reconstruction schedule is making everything impossible to plan. perhaps a night job. yikes. new boobs may need to wait. ah, well. cestpool la vie.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose

Last edited by wyndhy : 06-03-2009 at 02:08 PM.