Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2004, 07:55 AM
Bastard of Member

Send a message via Yahoo to skipthisone
Passion...and your thoughts.

I think most of you know how much I like to critic movies. Well I went and saw The Passion last night. I went with a group of people and sat in a sold out theatre with mostly large church groups.

The movie was easily the most intense thing I have ever watched. I cried a few times, I was shocked at the graphic nature of things they showed a few times. My personal feelings on the show are between my soul and whoever takes charge of it when it leaves my body.

As for the technical aspects. This was beyond a well made movie, the sound, the lighting, the cast....it was all done with such grandure it is without words.

As for the anti-jewish views some have said it has. I saw none of it, it pointed out a few high priests that were threatened by what Jesus was teaching. They even had a few lower priests that tried to stop the "trial". No overall anti-sematic views, just like in all historical things, a few bad leaders or people at the top.

I would say anyone with any religious leanings should see it, but with that said it is not for the light of heart.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:02 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Been thinking about this a lot. Braveheart was a great flick as was the one he made on the Revolutionary war. While it dealt with history and historical figures, they were not figures that many people feel they have a personal relationship with today. Did your personal religious beliefs make the movie more intense or would a person from a different historical/religious viewpoint have the same reaction? In other words was the movie more intense because of your beliefs/relationship with Christ or is the movie just so well made that regardless of your perspective you will be overwhelmed?

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 02-26-2004, 08:02 AM
Lusting Horny Pixie

Thank you Skip I plan on seeing it... tho getting a seat for it is difficult here... I believe I am gonna have to take time off work to go since all the evening and weekend showings are already sold out.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:07 AM
Bastard of Member

I think that if you are Christian it is more likely to effect you deeply. But for anyone the graphic nature of the Passion (btw in this case the word "Passion" is meant literally from the greek translation meaning "To Suffer") should give you thought, maybe not religious in nature, but at least as for the suffering of any fellow human being.

I will say, with no reservation, if you can watch as he is being scourged, some of his skin flying off, and not grimace...you may have something wrong with you.

That scene made me look away, and I have a love of gorry horror flicks...
Old 02-26-2004, 08:12 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

TY...I have a friend who contends that she can not possibly watch this in a theater, people eating popcorn, etc. when for her it is such a personal event being depicted. She is dying to see it but feels she needs to wait til she can watch it in the comfort/ emotional safety of her home. If someone is already very emotional about this, would you suggest they wait to see it at home?

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 02-26-2004, 08:26 AM

Lil,

Sharing the grue in a theatre should give a little perspective.

Whether you believe he was the son of God, or a loony, the Man

died a death that if you did it to a dog today, you'd be in jail for years.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:28 AM
Bastard of Member

No, I think you shouldnt watch this alone or with just family. Go see it with others feeling the same way about it. No one in this full theatre spoke, gasped, nothing but crying. The film ended and no one got up for at least 3 minutes...

I will also say this is a movie I will never see again. I think upon reflection I needed to see this movie, but I wont see it again.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:32 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Thanks Skippy, I will let her know how you felt about it. I trust your opinion on movies and if you say it's better as a group experience than I will see if I can get her to go with me.

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 02-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Banned

Skip, thanks for "the passion" explanation. A friend asked me last night why it's called "The Passion of the Christ".

Why "the Christ"?
Old 02-26-2004, 10:01 AM
Opera-Pixie

wow...skip, this looks like I'm in for a really interesting experience at the theatre :S Not to bring in politics but I'm a "recovering" catholic, now an agnostic. I do agree- no matter what faith you are that the practice of crucifixition is horrible and gruesome.

Anyway, I think the insertion of "The" specifies which Christ. I know its a germanic version of a last name (Christ that is) but it specifies which one we're talkign about. Plus is more definately (and semantically) identifies Jesus as the savior of christians. See my point? The empasis in the sentence would be placed on Passion instead of Christ: and whats more important in this? The Passion...or him getting crucified?
Old 02-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Bastard of Member

The literal definition of the title would be "The suffering of The Christ", which is explanitory in itself to me. Sure it takes some understanding of of whom Gibson means, but it is fairly obvious to most.

And as for that definition that is exactly what the movie is about, and up until the last 8 seconds of the film it never goes away from that line.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Banned

Cool, thanks guys.

I was thinking of "The Passions of the Cross" and wondered if it was somehow related but your explanations cover it.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to BlueSwede Send a message via Yahoo to BlueSwede
I am not Christian, but I know I couldn't handle the violence; I would have nightmares for months. Plus, I know how it ends; why would I want to go watch that?
Old 02-26-2004, 11:32 AM
Bastard of Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSwede
Plus, I know how it ends; why would I want to go watch that?

I always find it interesting when people say that about movies.

I always compare it to real life, I mean come on, life isnt even a surprise we all know how it ends. Its all about the portrayal we give...whether you die at age 2 or 92, we all just get that one last beat of the heart. Then game over same ending.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:15 PM

Steph,

The word “Christ” derives from the Greek “to anoint” (khriein), which is itself the Greek translation of the Hebrew word rendered "Messiah".

Jesus is “the” Christ because there was more than one individual at that time who claimed to be the Messiah.