User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2003, 07:07 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
\/ Ice Ice Baby \/

Report: Ted Williams' Body Decapitated

NEW YORK - Ted Williams was decapitated by surgeons at the cryonics company where his body is suspended in liquid nitrogen, and several samples of his DNA are missing, Sports Illustrated reported.

The magazine's report, appearing in the issue that hits newsstands Wednesday, is based on internal documents, e-mails, photographs and tape recordings supplied by a former employee of Alcor Life Extension Foundation.

After Williams died July 5, 2002, his body was taken by private jet to the company in Scottsdale, Ariz. There, Williams' body was separated from his head in a procedure called neuroseparation, according to the magazine.

The operation was completed and Williams' head and body were preserved separately. The head is stored in a steel can filled with liquid nitrogen. It has been shaved, drilled with holes and accidentally cracked 10 times, the magazine said. Williams' body stands upright in a 9-foot tall cylindrical steel tank, also filled with liquid nitrogen.

The procedure, approved by Williams' son, John Henry, and daughter, Claudia, carries a $136,000 bill. Alcor claims it is still owed $111,000.

The magazine said that according to a taped conversation between former Alcor chief operating officer Larry Johnson and a board adviser, eight DNA samples among 182 taken from Williams are missing without explanation.

Spokeswoman Paula Lemler, wife of Alcor chief executive officer Jerry Lemler, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that company officials had not seen the article and would have no comment.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 08-12-2003, 07:08 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Anybody here wanna become a human ice cube???

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 08-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Ethical Epicurean

Send a message via AIM to lakritze Send a message via Yahoo to lakritze
Nope...
Old 08-12-2003, 09:22 PM
Loungin' Around

I've been told I am...by my SO. We've had a few really good fights...

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 08-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Just me.

Can't say being an icecube is on my list of things to do. Nope.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Lusting Horny Pixie

Okay.... lets say for the sake of argument, that someday technology will catch up to fantasy, and those who have decided to put themselves on ice are "resurrected" (bad choice of words maybe, but bare (or is that bear) with me). I guess those who have done it figured that $136,000 is a small fee to spend for a chance at a better life... but probably also figured "What the hell I can't take it with me" (and odds are they dislike their relatives (and the rest of the current society) that leaving their $136,000 to them was a bitter pill to swallow).

If 100 years from now, someone flips a switch and brings them all back (and hell, with the advances over the last 100 years, anything is just about possible) I would think that the only draw back would be that nothing would be the same and all loved ones and friends would be long dead. Tho... I guess meeting ones own great great great great great grandchildren might be a hoot.

For me personally, nope... would rather spend eternity in another location... whether heaven (or dare it be HELL)... I think that ONE natural life span on this earth (not to mention this BODY) is enough... good god... that thought of spending more than one natural life span in the Body is enough to make me want to make the current call now. ROFL
Old 08-12-2003, 10:10 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

"It has been shaved, drilled with holes and accidentally cracked 10 times, the magazine said. "

My concern is that I am not sure they are getting their money's worth. Have you ever seen what happens to a grape dipped in liquid nitrogen when you drop it???

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 08-12-2003, 11:05 PM
Wanting More

I read the story on Williams, and got that freaky wave of curiosity washing over me...

I checked out the Alcor website, and let's just say among all the mumbo jumbo, it had more of a cult-like tone rather than a scientific/life preservation mission statement. It really is quite interesting, for those who care to read the site's FAQ's.

I, for one, would never pay the $100k's + for the chance of possibly becoming immortal...just too freaky!! Supposedly instead of decapitation, they just remove the brain... how is one supposed to come back to life in that situation??

Old 08-13-2003, 12:09 AM
Banned

Holy fuck, that's fucked.

And I had a wicked mountain bike stolen when someone put liquid nitrogen on my mondo-expensive lock so I can imagine what it would do to a poor frozen grape.

Is this not the weirdest story ever?!?!
Old 08-13-2003, 07:08 AM
Bastard of Member

Send a message via Yahoo to skipthisone
Just think when all of his clones get out on the dominance Ted's 1-8 will have on baseball...
Old 08-13-2003, 07:48 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

exactly STO~ How much do you think the company got for the DNA???? I know a few Daddies who would pay a pretty penny to raise the next Ted Williams.

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 08-14-2003, 03:47 PM
~figment of imagination~

I will pass but thank you so much for thinking about me. lol
~ me! ~