Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2005, 04:37 PM
~getting by~

Condo Living

With my recent move to New England, I've found myself homeless in a very high priced real estate market. I went out looking at houses last week and by the time my realtor and I got out, over half of them were gone already. Those that were left didn't tickle my fancy at all. As I found myself settling more and more for something I probably wouldn't be happy with I've come to the conclusion that maybe settling for a condo with all the other things I want might be the lesser of two evils. I plan to start looking at condos this week. Has anyone owned or currently own one? Anything I should consider before signing my life away on one? I've owned a house, so I know I should look for all the basic things in a place to live, but am not familar with associations or shared walls...
Old 07-24-2005, 04:48 PM
~*Geeky Girl*~

Maddy, I lived in one, but it's been...gosh...ten or eleven years since then. I'm sure things could have/have changed in that time, and, of course, geography may also have a play in it.

The one thing to remember, which I'm sure you already realize, is that you do need to take into consideration the association fee. In my case, the fee we paid covered snow removal, grounds upkeep, trash, etc. When figuring your budget, those things (the savings *and* the expense) should be factored in. Not having to do yard work was a *big* plus for me, but you also have to keep in mind that condominiums *can* be a little like apartment living in that, if you have good neighbors, everything is great. If you have less-than-perfect neighbors...

The condominium I owned was an end unit, and we had a garage that was on the "other side." There was just a *little* bit of a kitchen wall that backed up to another unit. I guess it all depends on the architecture of your particular building as to whether a shared wall is really an issue.

Good luck--you know I have my fingers crossed for you!

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So love the people who treat you right, forget about the ones who don't, and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, then let it, and if you have to wait for what you really want, take the time because nobody said that life would be easy. They just promised it would be worth it." ~ Unknown author

Old 07-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Loungin' Around

SOme things to consider:
* COndo fees are not tax-deductible like interest expense, so you're not going to be able to "capitalize" it
* Check and make sure the condo association is solvent. Many associations reserve the right to levy special fees if a catastrophic event or major repair comes up. It sucks to immediately have to pay thousands (unplanned)
* On the same note -- when was the last time the roof was done? Painting? Windows? Water mains? Any other large ticket items coming up? Does the assn have enough money to cover the expense?
* What are the expenses the assn is planning for? When? Are they meeting their saving targets?
* What is the history of the condo assn fees? Do they rise every year? How are increases decided? How much warning is provided?
* Read the condo charter and see if anything makes you nervous.
* Request the last two condo assn meeting minutes -- can you tell anything about how these people make decisions, live together, etc. from the minutes? How often do they meet? Do you think the schedule will agree with you?
* Check out the resale values for similar units in the assn -- what was the average appreciation? Many condos appreciate more slowly than a house. (and how long do units stay on the market?)
* Are there any rules about pets? Renting out your condo if you choose to keep it as an asset? How long you have to wait until you sell it?
* What services do you get for your condo fee? What are the services' frequency? (I've had friends find to their chagrin that mowing was only covered weekly or bi weekly and they had to do any interim maintenance)
* Do you have the ability to plant your own flowers/garden if you want? Are there any rules that must be met?
* Ask about noise control agreements among assn members.
* Is any form of insurance included in the fee? What will you have to insure -- entire property or from the interior walls inward (only slightly more than possessions and interior appliances). There can be a big difference in cost.
* Is there any difference in loan cost (and/or interest rate) for the condo vs. a house? In some states/some brokers there is.

Also keep in mind that the condo assn has the ability to place a lein on the property for unpaid fees, and you *can* loose your condo for missing payments. Not that this would be planned, or anything.......but certainly good to know!

Good luck.

PS -- Your realtor should be able to time your househunting to coincide with when the houses come on the market for the week, and thus give you a chance to bid....if s/he is doing their job. You might want to check with another realtor if you are dissatisfied.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 07-24-2005, 06:21 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
I do't have anything intelligent to add just wanted to say good luck!

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 07-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Loungin' Around

One more thing...PM me if you want any advice on th ebidding/offer process. Did it recently on the west coast.....and yes, we bought a condo.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 07-24-2005, 06:39 PM
~getting by~

Wow! I'm glad I asked the questions here. Thanks for the advise so far.

osuche, I have to admit I was getting nervous reading all those questions, but they certainly are helpful and I will be keeping them all in mind.

My realtor is great so far, she's very optimistic that I can find a house. I'm less than optimistic that I will be happy in a house, as I was very spoiled in my first house's age/size/layout etc. and I really feel if I'm going to compromise my wants, that a condo is a better compromise than ending up with a DIY project with no money.

Planning househunting here is difficult, as "good" homes are gone in hours to days at the most. If it's something you think you really want, you have to jump or risk it being gone. I guess it's part of what continues to drive the market even higher.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Loungin' Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy
osuche, I have to admit I was getting nervous reading all those questions, but they certainly are helpful and I will be keeping them all in mind.

((((Maddy))))

I didn't mean to scare you off! Sometimes my engineering brain can be a little TOO thorough.

My apologies.

Old 07-25-2005, 08:48 PM
With all due respect

Send a message via Yahoo to fredchabotnick
Quote:
Originally Posted by osuche
* Check and make sure the condo association is solvent. Many associations reserve the right to levy special fees if a catastrophic event or major repair comes up. It sucks to immediately have to pay thousands (unplanned)
* On the same note -- when was the last time the roof was done? Painting? Windows? Water mains? Any other large ticket items coming up? Does the assn have enough money to cover the expense?

The full list is excellent, but pay close attention to these two. I'm fighting this right now, with a leaky roof (and therefore, my ceiling) and a big special assesment. It's not fun.
Good luck.

"A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to himself." - Guildenstern, “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead”
Old 07-25-2005, 10:17 PM
Made in England

Maddy, try to talk to some of the residents other than the sellers.....to get their input to the pros and cons of condo living.

You could also take a chance on renting one if any are available to see if condo living is for you. I know it would be a hassle to move again but it could save you a big headache in the long run.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:32 AM
is not this trim anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBI
Maddy, try to talk to some of the residents other than the sellers.....to get their input to the pros and cons of condo living.

You could also take a chance on renting one if any are available to see if condo living is for you. I know it would be a hassle to move again but it could save you a big headache in the long run.

Excellent, excellent advice!

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

Complete surrender should not just come at moments in which one faces overwhelming odds, but in the calm when it seems one is personally in complete control of one's life.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:09 PM

Just wanted to say..

Just wanted to say good luck on the Condo search. I myself have had some offers to relocate to Rhode Island and California. Both places after researching the cost of living increase versus the amount of salary increase didn't weight out appropriately and found myself staying here in Texas due to it.

Just sucks that a house that is approxe 150 to 200k here in Texas on a good sized plot of land can cost 400 to 600k in other parts of the states. In California land prices are crazy. I have a friend who moved out of her house that was given to her from her parents that was on a half acre lot and even though the house she lived in was so crappy the land was worth so much that by moving to a brand new house that was only on a small lot she saved money.

Most of the technical things you probably need to know has been posted above but I did want to mention one additional thing when looking at Condos alot of them are similar to home owners associations in that they can limit alot of the decisions you make to adding anything to the building. Paint colors, addition of things like swingsets, storage sheds to back yards, or even something seemingly trivial such as Satelite dishes or yard decorations may require permission or even a permit from the organization. So that may be something you may want to look at.

Keep in mind that association rules are typically deed restricted versus city wide ordinances and not all homes or condos are in associations that has such aestetic regulations.

Anyway good luck to you and your family and your recent move.

/wave.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Not there yet.....

Must be my Yankee upbringing, but I just can't stand having someone tell me what I can/can't do on property I paid for and am paying taxes on!!!

So condo life is not for me.

Good luck Maddy!

Afternoon Delight

Delightful Rendezvous!

Is the love I gave her in the past, gonna be enough to last, if tomorrow never comes........
Old 08-01-2005, 04:33 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
we own one now maddy and there is some great advice above. nothing to add really except to say that we like it although moving into a single family is and has been a goal of ours for sometime now.

here's my experience so far...

with the kids it's great 'cause there is a pool and a playground right here for us to visit. tennis courts and weight rooms as well. construction quality can really vary from community to community so don't assume that it will be less than stellar just because it's a condo. i know end units are popular because you won't have neighbors on one side but there is usually major sound insulation between units and being in-between two units will save you money on energy costs. ours has also appreciated right on par with single family homes (taking into consideration sq. footage and property size) could just be the local market though. and not having to take care of the snow removal, grass mowing, etc is nice but i’d deal with (and will soon hafta deal with) all that and more to have a single family.

drawbacks....they do have restrictions on what you can and can't do, although they are usually just concerned with the exterior renovations. it's noisier than a single family....i don't mean the shared walls either... the parking lots/streets are busier, kids are always hanging around and yuckin' it up, dogs galore, busy bodies and gossip mongers.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 08-01-2005, 07:34 PM
~getting by~

*sigh* I know... trust me, if I could afford a single family, I'd be in one. I've tried that avenue, and unfortunately either I'd have to pack some metal of my own to keep up with the neighbors, or I'd have to plan on a full renovation. As Zeph pointed out... the market in Dallas is very competitive locally, but can't compare to the NE market. So the beautiful home that I sold for about $150K would easily cost me about $400K here. It makes my head hurt and my heart ache... but I made the choice to move here and now I have to take the consequences that go with it.

I spent all weekend condo hunting and I found them all to be rather unique - and some of course were better than others. I weighed the good with the bad and made an offer and lost it to an earlier and higher than asking price offer. I was prepared to make a second offer in the same complex tonight and my realtor called back to let me know that they were a signature away from accepting an offer. I couldn't compete with the offer on the table. Which leaves me with my #3, which I'm having a hard time coming to grips with in my mind. My gut says don't settle, so I think I'm holding out. I've identified complexes that I would be more happy in and that's where we are focusing. I know complexes that are definitely out of my sight now too.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Manwhore

My friend in California assures me that living in a condo means you're gay. *shrugs*

:cents:

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these