Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2003, 11:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
School teachers influences!

This is not a political thread.Many people have different views on
warlike things but I would like everyones opinions on a matter that bothers me greatly.As I have told you before,I have the radio on for most of the day listening to talk radio.I don't much care what the host has to say but I like to hear the callers responces.They have been talking alot today about teachers telling students that their parents(relatives)who have been deployed are wrong because they are supporting a war.I have a
cousin,who has been a schoolteacher,for many years.Her views are completly different then mine,but she would never try to influence a student,with her personal views.In my opinion,a teacher,should teach their related subjects and keep their personal
opinions to themselves,unless asked.My kids are beyond school
age,but I have four Grandchildren in school.Young children are easily influenced by their elders and it bothers me that someone
would try to do so.What is everyones opinion? Irish
Old 03-03-2003, 01:09 PM
Nice but never normal

Well as one who is entering into that profession I can say that my opinion is like that of everyone elses. Matters only to those that are open minded. My place as a teacher is to give students facts and knowledge, not opinion.

I myself believe that those who are in the military are doing their part by protecting this country. That is my opinion and does not need to be pressed onto students. If they were to ask me how I feel I would tell them, but I would also remind them that those are my feelings and in now way reflect how I think they should feel.

"Even heroes have the right to bleed."

"I'm wakin up at the start of the end of the world
Old 03-03-2003, 01:10 PM
Just me.

I agree with you, Irish. I don't have a problem with the teacher encouraging the students to discuss current events ... or even to offer a balanced appraisal of both sides of an issue so that the kids can better appreciate the subject ....

But I don't think it's the teacher's job to try and influence kids with their personal views; and in particular to encourage kids to begin to doubt the sincerity, morality, or integrity of friends or families who have been called on to serve out an obligation.

Can you imagine the outrage if a teacher proposed that a fireman shouldn't respond to a fire if it involved a place of worship or ethnic background the teacher did not believe in.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Manwhore

I agree too, Irish. A teacher should not teach their opinion. If they are asked and they give their opinion they should state that it is such, just an opinion.

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these
Old 03-03-2003, 02:28 PM
Everybody Stretch!

I had a history teacher in high school who only ever talked of his personal experiences when he was in the army. I don't think we ever opened a book in his class.......just sat and listened to his personal thoughts and feelings and opinions as to war and the military. We never had tests. He graded us by our interest and show of participation in his ramblings. You guys think I can go on and on? You should have had to sit one day in his class! Eventually he was reported by numerous students. Rumor has it he was severly reprimanded, but I don't know the details. He continued to teach and was monitored from time to time on his classroom behavior. But he had to go by the books provided thereafter!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 03-03-2003, 03:07 PM

Teachers influence, just by being there and some of the little things

they say.

Kids are sponges and absorb it all.

One teacher had one of my kids upset because my dishwashing

liquid might blind baby fish in the harbour.

What defence do we have?
Old 03-03-2003, 07:06 PM
Just me.

One of our boys had done a report on an aquifer that runs under where we live using the name provided by the Illinois Department of Water Resources (I think that's what it was called) who explained the common name was incorrect.

When our son mentioned that in a class, the teacher basically ridiculed him, suggesting he didn't know what he was talking about. My son felt embarrassed and crushed, so I contacted the same government official and he sent a new letter (email) which I printed off and sent with my son to school.

I felt better about the teacher after the teacher read the letter to the class and apologized for having judged too harshly and too quickly.