Thread: Aftermath
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2004, 02:17 PM
obsolete

Jan had never been one to keep her feelings or thoughts from her husband, Jack, but she also wasn't sure if he would care to hear or know what was going on in her mind and with her body lately. Oddly, she was feeling a bit as though it wasn't any of his business. The fact remained, however, that she needed to talk. To Mark, certainly. Eventually. But also to someone who might possibly understand.

In light of what had been evolving between herself and her son, Janice wondered how others were faring -- if any of the other women involved in this bid to repopulate the world had found themselves reacting the way she had. None of her immediate friends had been placed in this predicament. Well, only one -- Devi Patel. And her younger brother, Sunil.

Jan had decided to phone her friend and arrange to meet for a long heart-to-heart. If there was anyone she could trust with a conversation like she needed to have, it was Devi. She was always open and honest, maybe a little too open and honest sometimes, but that was Devi, and one of the things that so endeared her to the younger woman. Not to mention that Devi's attitude made it easier for others to open up as well.

Just as Devi was Janice's best friend, her brother was Mark's. As far as she knew, the boys had not seen each other since any of this started. They had never been apart more than a day or so throughout their lives. Maybe it would be good for them to talk to each other as well.

Jan looked up as Mark walked into the kitchen. "I still have to go shopping, but I've thought about a few things while I was waiting for you to come down. When was the last time you saw Sunil? I know I asked you that the other day, but don't you miss seeing your friend?"

"He's been busy, mom. I haven't been to school at all since... "

"That's another thing. Tomorrow you go back to school. No ifs, ands or buts. But today... I'm not going to drag you shopping with me. You never did like it in the first place. Instead, I suggest you pick up the phone and go visit your friend. Me, I'm going to see Devi tomorrow afternoon. We both need to try to get back into our regular routines. Agreed?"