View Single Post
Old 10-30-2003, 12:05 AM

Miss Mindy Blake

“Thanks,” Mindy said, taking the apple from Shawn’s hand. Whatever Shawn was cooking smelt delicious. Mindy hadn’t eaten since lunch and she was starving. This should hold her over nicely, she thought, looking at the crisp, Red Delicious apple in her hand. She licked her lips, and sunk her teeth through the skin and into the meat of the fruit. Completing her bite, the fresh, sweet pulp melting on her tongue Miss Blake heard Shawn quote:

“Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.”

The color drained from Miss Blake’s face, she involuntarily choked a little on the apple in her mouth, and her hands started to shake. So many things became clear to Mindy at that moment.

“He knows,” she thought, “Oh my god he knows,” Mindy’s mind raced. She realized that Shawn must know what she hadn’t been able to admit herself. She was attracted to him. Why else was she here? A teacher, in a student’s home. About to sit down to dinner.

Glancing at the back of Shawn Murphy, she realized how tempted she was, how much like Eve she was. She also knew, as every Christian does, what Eve should have done, and she knew what she should do. She should get up right now, this very moment, and walk out the door. She should have Shawn’s counselor handle the task of helping him to college.

But she couldn’t. She stayed sitting there at the table. For just as Eve violated Divine edict, Mindy knew she would mischievously disobey the statutory law of her state and her profession. She would betray all for the young man standing in front of her. For the first time in her life Mindy understood Eve, she felt truly her daughter. Like mother like daughter, sisters in sin.

“And they heard the voice of the LORD walking in the garden in the cool of the day; and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.
And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
And the man said, the woman who thou gavest to be with me, she gave me the tree, and I did eat
And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, the serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.”

Miss Blake paused in her recitation of the Book.

“I have just one question Shawn,” asked Mindy, “Are you the Serpent or are you Adam?”

Shawn turned from the stove and looked Mindy in the eye, a smile creeping across his face.

“Well that depends Miss. Do you want to be corrupted or do you want to do the corrupting?”

Miss Blake, again ravenously hungry, met Shawn’s eyes, and took another scrumptious bite of the apple he had offered her.

Dinner was a carnival of sorts, five children sitting around the table, giggling, arguing, and occasionally throwing food at one another. And in the middle was the ringmaster Shawn. It was a refreshing change from her lonely dinners, which included only a stack of papers to grade, and her cat Whiskers for company. Watching him, Mindy could see that he just adored his younger brothers and sisters, and Mindy found this to be another endearing quality in this young man.

Once dinner was done, the children were ordered to their respective chores: the table needed to be cleared, dishes washed, garbage taken out, pets fed, and little ones washed. And then finally her and Shawn were alone. They moved into the living room and made themselves comfortable on the coach

“Do you do this every night?” Miss Blake asked in amazement.

“On the night’s my Mom works doubles. But I really don’t mind,” Shawn said.

“Well I admire you Shawn, I really do,” Miss Blake said, looking into his eyes. “You’ll go far in this life, I’m sure of that.” Remembering, that she was actually here for a reason, she decided to get down to business.

“Alright, let’s get started shall we, here is the financial aide application. Fill this out now, and I will drop it in the mail tomorrow. Here are the catalogs of all the in-state colleges. Start to go through these and pick the ones you think you’d like to attend. Ask me any questions you have along the way. As you do that, I’m going to take this opportunity to grade some papers.” Mindy said, slipping off her shoes, and tucking her legs underneath her as she made herself comfortable on the coach.

For the next two hours Mindy and Shawn worked diligently at their respective tasks. When it all was said and done, Shawn had completed his aid application, and had decided on 5 schools for which he would like to apply. She was very happy with all the progress they had made.

“It’s getting pretty late Shawn. I should probably get going,” Mindy said. “Why don’t we plan on meeting next week? We’ll get these applications completed then. How’s that sound?”

Miss Blake reached out and tucked Shawn’s hair behind his hair again. This time though, before Miss Blake had a chance to snatch her hand away, Shawn’s hand clasped hers. His touch was electric on her skin, and Mindy felt her face color in response.

“Miss Blake,” Shawn began to say, but before he could stammer another word, their lips met. Reflecting back on this moment, as Mindy often would, she never could recall who kissed whom first. What she does remember is how pleasant it was to be so close to her student.

As soon as their lips met, their mouths parted. Shawn’s tongue explored and probed her mouth as eagerly as her tongue explored his. Sitting on the couch she relaxed into the kiss easing her head back onto the couch. Shawn placed one hand behind her head pulling her in closer for a deeper kiss. His other hand dropped to her large breast, and he began to massage, and then lightly squeeze it through her blouse. Shawn’s sweet kiss, his roaming hands and his warm hardness pressing against her thigh overwhelmed her. Mindy felt faint with desire.

Shawn broke their kiss, and Mindy feared Shawn was about to come to his senses, realize she was with his teacher, and ask her to leave. She felt him lean into her ear and whisper,

“Miss Blake, are you sure you have to be going?” Shawn whispered, delightfully smirking.

Miss Blake answered him the only way she knew how. She placed one arm around his back, the other she slid up the back of his neck, and she pulled his mouth to hers.
things of which I dream of still,"

-Cowboy Junkies "Black-eyed Man"