View Single Post
Old 11-15-2003, 07:42 PM
obsolete

The rose on her desk caught her eye immediately of course, but it was the envelope beneath that drew her attention. Finding it unsealed, she lifted the flap and drew out the letter that it held.

"What in the world?" she mused aloud as she read the letter. Despite the dawning realization that she was reading something so obviously not meant for herself, she read it a second time, turning it over to look at the back before reading it a third. Emily wasn't an uncommon name. It had probably been misdirected.

Emily Jones pressed the button on the intercom that connected to her secretary's desk. "Janet, do me a favor. Call personnel and ask them to locate any other Emily's employed here. Then have them send the names to me. Thanks. And yes, please. I will take that coffee you offered me earlier now."

While she waited, Emily's fingertips absent-mindedly traced over the uneven handwriting. Letter by letter. Word by word. Paragraph by paragraph. The cool, smoothness of the stationery. The faint scent of cologne intermingling with that of the rose. She was overwhelmed by a sense of bittersweet longing and couldn't help but feel a little jealous of the Emily whom this man loved so very dearly.

Her eyes wandered back to the rose and she picked it up gently, unable to resist inhaling the rich, heady fragrance. Its deep scarlet petals were soft as velvet where they brushed against her lips. Emily Jones smiled wistfully, remembering a time when she, too, had been in love this way.