Thread: Aftermath
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004, 10:56 AM
obsolete

Janice Fleming

Watching Mark go off to do as she said, Janice longed to call back her words -- or at least the harsh tone of her voice. It wasn't her son making her feel this way, it was the whole situation. Relax, they had said. She needed to relax. That's what they were doing up here in the middle of nowhere, wasn't it? Janice sighed. "And a mighty poor job you're doing of it," she chastised herself.

"Excuse me?"

Janice jumped, startled by the sound of Mark's voice behind her as she finished drying the dishes they had used. Embarrassed by her silly reaction, she turned around and began to chuckle. "Sorry, lovey. I didn't mean to bark at you that way before. And just now... Well, I was telling myself off for doing it."

"S'okay," he answered, though she could plainly see that he was more than a little confused. She hadn't explained anything to Mark -- not where they were going or what they were going to do once they got there. She hadn't even told him that her pregnancy test was negative. Janice owed him all of that and more.

"I found some microwave popcorn in the cupboard. Why don't you make some and we'll relax a bit after I take my turn in the shower. Okay?" The look on Mark's face told her it was all clear as mud and it wrenched her heart. Not knowing what else to do, Jan gave him a quick hug and a promise to make more sense after she'd washed up.

Not wasting any time, Janice was showered and back in what passed for a living room in the cabin within fifteen minutes. Grateful that Mark had started a fire in the fireplace to take the chill off, she smiled and thanked him. She'd forgotten how cool evenings in the mountains could get no matter how high the temperatures rose during the day.

"That was quick," he said. "Do you still want popcorn? I was so busy making the fire that I didn't... "

"Not really. Unless you want?" Jan answered, walking over to the overstuffed settee and patting the cushion beside herself. Clearly more confused than before, Mark simply shook his head no and sat down beside his mother.

"These past few weeks have been difficult for you, I know. No, wait. Let me finish," she interjected when he started to protest. "We -- you -- erm... both of us were thrown into a situation that was inescapable. First times aren't supposed to be the way they were for you."

She almost burst out laughing at that, and would have if it wasn't so tragically sad. Talk about understatements!

"I went back to the clinic yesterday. My test was negative. No, no. It's okay," she said as her son placed his hand gently on her arm. Jan moved it slightly and took his hand in her own, twining her fingers through Mark's and giving him a squeeze.

"The doctor said it was most likely because I -- we -- weren't relaxing. I know. I know. You're probably thinking that's a joke," she continued, still without letting him comment. "I suppose there's a lot of truth in that. Neither of us have been exactly calm about this whole thing."

Holding his gaze with her own, Janice's voice took on a quieter, gentler tone. "That's why we're here, just you and I. We never talk anymore like we used to. We don't do anything together except... Well, you know." She smiled sheepishly, more than a little embarrassed. "I'd like us to recapture some of what we used to have, Mark. Just be us again. Talk about what we're thinking and feeling. No worries, no cares. No schedules. Just us two... For as long as we want. For as long as you want."

Janice's voice trailed off as she lifted her free hand to her son's face, caressing his cheek. "Please?" she asked, wanting to give him back some of the decision-making she and the government had taken away from him and hoping that his answer would be yes.