View Single Post
Old 10-23-2003, 09:34 AM

Miss Mindy Blake

Mindy was stunned when Shawn Murphy walked up to her next the day with his literary analysis already done. This had never happened before. Assignments were always handed in late not early.

“Are you sure you are done with this? That you want to hand this in?” asked Miss Blake, looking up at the smiling Shawn Murphy.

“Yup,” he said, “It’s done, and I don’t think it is going to get much better than that.”

“Well, if you are sure, I’ll grade it tonight and have it for you tomorrow,” Mindy said. “Go have a seat, I’ll be starting class shortly.”

As Miss Blake watched Shawn Murphy walk across the classroom and sit down, she was reminded by his physical stature that Shawn Murphy was not your average high school student.

“Never mind that,” she scolded herself, “you have a class to teach.”

“Okay ladies and gentleman,” Mindy said, calling the attention of the class, “Let’s go ahead and get started. You’ll need to take out those pens and notebooks, because this hour I will be lecturing on the historical context of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s The Scarlet Letter. To truly appreciate Hawthorne’s work you must have a firm understanding of Puritan Society in colonial America….”

Later that night Mindy curled up on the coach in her jammies, a cup a tea before her, a red pen in hand, and Shawn Murphy’s literary analysis and a grade sheet in her lap.

Development of Ideas and Content: Your essay is clear, focused and holds my attention. You provide many relevant citations to support your thesis. Your ideas are original and your argument is insightful.

Organization: You have an inviting introduction that draws the reader in and a satisfying conclusion. Very strong thesis statement that you support throughout the essay. You provide thoughtful transitions that connect all your ideas together.

Voice: You voice is very strong. I feel a connection to your writing, as if I’m sensing the person behind the words. Your writing is honest, personal, and engaging. It caused me to think about your ideas and point of view.

Word Choice: Your vocabulary is powerful and engaging. You use striking words and phrases that linger in my mind. You word choice enhances the meaning of your work and clarifies my understanding.

Sentence Fluency: Your writing has an easy flow, rhythm, and cadence.

Conventions: Spelling, grammar, and punctuation are flawless.

Grade: A+

After completing Shawn’s essay Mindy sat there stunned. She rarely gave students A’s. Students had to work hard to attain such scores from her, and yet Shawn ha managed it on his first assignment. This wasn’t the writing of a high school student; this was the writing of a peer. She glanced down again at his analysis. Yes, this was university-level work. Mindy made up her mind to ask Shawn to meet with her tomorrow after school.

She told herself it was her duty as a teacher to find out what this young man’s plans were for the future. She should make sure he is receiving the guidance needed to continue his education beyond high school. If necessary, she could make sure he realizes his potential.

There were a lot of reasons Mindy was going to ask Shawn to stay after school with her. The strongest reason however, which Miss Blake couldn’t admit to herself, was that she just wanted to get to know this interesting young man better.
things of which I dream of still,"

-Cowboy Junkies "Black-eyed Man"