View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 02:39 PM

Harbor Town was a ramshackle collection of houses and inns clustered around a well protected bay. They reached the town just as evening was setting the next day. Ashley looked down on the town from the road, wondering what kind of trouble they would find there. She felt more comfortable with Brianna, Brooke, and Melanie, but she knew from personal experience that the elves had every bit as much potential to get into awkward situations as she did on her own.

"Run free," said Brianna to the horses. The three horses whinnied and trotted off, back toward Ariel's city.

"You know, we could have traded them for a boat," Susan said.

Brooke looked shocked, "What? They are free animals, not ours to trade."

"You don't own the horses?" Emily asked.

"Own something living?" Melanie said, confused. "No, of course not. The horses serve us when they are willing. Which, fortunately, seems to be whenever we call."

Brianna led the way down the road into town as dusk settled. The girls, nude save for their heels, drew quite a bit of attention among the sailors they passed. The place was active, the waterfront crowded with men of all variety coming and going between the ships, markets, and bars.

Ignoring the catcalls and propositions, Brianna led them straight to the marina. A dwarf with a pot belly stood there, looking them up and down appreciatively as they approached.

"Are you the harbor master?" asked Brianna.

"I'd like to master your harbor," the dwarf said lasciviously.

Brianna said impatiently, "Of course you would. We need to purchase a boat."

The dwarf smiled, "I've one you can obtain, for the right price."

"Is it seaworthy?" she asked.

"Quite," he replied. "This way, I'll show you."

Brianna looked at the other girls and rolled her eyes, then followed the dwarf. He led them out onto the docks, coming quickly to a small boat with one mast. The boat looked rickety at best, and Ashley was concerned that it might be kept on the surface by the rope tying it to the dock.

"We need to take it out to sea, not paddle around the harbor with it," Brianna huffed.

"Then you'll be needing something nicer," said the dwarf. "Right this way."

He led them further along the dock, coming at last to a longer boat. This one had one mast as well, but was more sturdy, and the lines looked less weathered. The boat had a broad flat deck. It looked, actually, in rather good condition.

Brianna stepped out onto the boat, ignoring the hand the dwarf offered her. He followed her onto the boat, talking to her constantly as she inspected it. She appeared to ignore every word he said, making her own assessment of the vessel. Finally she returned to the dock, closely followed by the dwarf, his eager eyes fixed on her ass.

"We'll take it," she said.

"Very good," the dwarf replied. "Eight hundred gold, for this fine vessel. A bargain, elf-maid, because I like you."

"Far too much for this thing," Brianna said impatiently. "We'll be lucky if it doesn't spring a leak tomorrow."

"Seven hundred, but not a gold piece lower," the dwarf said. "I really shouldn't be parting with it at all..."

"We haven't any money, anyway," said Brianna. "You can have me for the night, and we'll call it even."