View Single Post
Old 01-30-2003, 12:28 AM
obsolete

Connie

Jim wove his way through the traffic, pretending to be unhappy about our little excursion. I loved the way he grumbled and griped and hollered at the other drivers on the road and I never let him know that they didn't notice him at all. Every husband has to be permitted his delusions of grandeur on occasion.

He had almost resisted. I say almost because I had to resort to using "The Loud Sigh" accompanied by the obligatory "Tear in the Corner of My Eye" and "Fine" routine. But... all had gone well and I was pleased that I hadn't lost my touch after all these years. Our hands entwined, I smiled happily, clutching the ad I had pulled from the Sunday paper

Antiques!
All Kinds, At Fair Prices!
In business since 1963

142 Mott Street
Collingwood Park

"There it is!" I said excitedly after spotting the store and checking the paper one more time just to be certain. Jim drove right past. You know, you'd think for as many years as I've been doing the navigating, he'd learn to take directions a little bit better. *loud sigh*

Horn blaring and temper flaring, Jim finally made a turn three blocks up. He muttered unintelligible words under his breath until we had finally circled back and pulled into a parking place. Giving a contented sigh, I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. "Well, come on! We're here!"

Not waiting for him to come around, I opened the car door and got out. The word ANTIQUES was scrawled in a half moon across the dingy window in flaking gold paint. I pressed my face against the glass, cupping my hands around my eyes to peer inside. Unable to see much, I let myself in setting a bell jingling quietly somewhere in the back of the dimly lit store.