Thread: Aftermath
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2003, 03:57 PM
obsolete

Devi Patel

Devi chuckled as Mark headed for his room, presumably to get his jacket. He'd had a crush on her for as long as she could remember and she thought it was so cute. Of course she teased him, but not in a way that was mean-hearted. She would never do that. He was too special. Besides, it was flattering in a way.

Taking a deep breath, she called out to her friend. "Jan? Where are you? More importantly... Where's the coffee?"

"Aunt Devi! Aunt Devi!" The little ones shouted as they came running from the kitchen, their faces covered with tomato sauce and what might have passed as chocolate ice cream at one time.

"Pee yeww! Stinky babies!" She exclaimed with a mock look of terror on her face, squatting to take them in her arms to return their messy kisses.

"Have you finished eating then?" Matthew and Emily nodded and grinned in tandem. "Mom's in the kitchen."

"Well then, piggies. Let me just say hello and then I'll make you each a bubble bath. How would you like that? Now go get ready and I'll be along in a moment."

Devi watched as the twins ran to their rooms and still clutching the two envelopes she had gotten from Burt, walked into the kitchen to find her obviously distraught friend setting up a pot of coffee.

"Jan... " Devi began with a note of concern in her voice. "What has happened?"

Janice looked up at her dearest friend and the tears that she had struggled to hold back for the sake of her children began to flow again. "The news... Did you see the news?"

"No. What is it? I'll go turn it on."

"NO!"

Devi looked at Jan in shock. "What in the world is going on here, Janice Fleming? No. Don't tell me. Let me bathe the little ones and then we can talk. Really talk. Without interruptions. You get that coffee making and I'll be back in a few minutes."

Setting the two envelopes down on the table without a thought, Devi went to help Matthew and Emily get ready for bed.