View Single Post
Old 10-27-2003, 07:46 PM

Manfred Allison

Manfred sat in the hot tub on his patio, soaking his sore muscles. The cave-in of the small tunnel, at the ‘Valley of the Kings’, had nearly cost him his life this time. If he’d had permission to be there, he wouldn’t have been crawling through the tunnel, but….

“Señor Doctor.” Maria said in her broken English, approaching the hot tub, “You ‘ave a letter.”

He turned his head as she spoke, seeing the letter in her hand.

“Read it for me por favor, my hands are wet.” He was always encouraging Maria to improve her English.

“Si, Señor Doctor,” she said slipping her finger under the flap. Taking the single sheet out of the envelope and unfolding it she read:

Dear Mr. Allison,
Knowing your sense of…ahvenshur Maria stumbled over the word. “Adventure,” Manfred, corrected her. Knowing your sense of advenshur, I would like to invi you on the greatest treashur hunt of all time. Greater than the finds at the tombs of to….”I can not say this word Señor Doctor,” she said apologetically.

“Here, let me have it,” he said chuckling, drying his hands on a towel and taking the letter.

“Gracias Señor Doctor,” she said handing him the letter. “Supper will be ready in alf an hour.”

“Gracias Maria, you can go home if you’d like. I can fix my own plate.”

“Gracias Señor Doctor,” she said smiling and turning back to the house.

Dear Mr. Allison,
Knowing your sense of adventure, I would like to invite you on the greatest treasure hunt of all time. Greater than the finds at the tombs of Tut•ankh•a•men. I know that you will not be able to turn this down, as the rewards are greater than you can imagine.
Please come to the Phoenix Tower in New York as soon as you get your bags packed. There everything will be explained.

The letter was unsigned. He turned it over and looked at the backside, then held it up to the sun to see any watermark.

“Hmmm, better get my bags packed,” he said to no one. Getting out of the hot tub and heading for the house. Certainly can’t turn down the Greatest Adventure of all time. ”