View Single Post
Old 03-13-2005, 04:51 PM
here and there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playful1
I actually did a project on the real place that common swears came from...try these:

In the 1800's when a man was convited of Rape they were placed in the stockades for between a week to a month (depended on the location and severity of the incident). However the term "Rape" was not used at that time. Instead it was written into the judicial books as "Forced, Unconcented Carnial Knowledge" This was obviously too long to fit on the slab of wood over the stockades that listed the persons crime, so the acranym was used "F.U.C.K"
Thus the term "Fuck you" really means "I'm going to Rape you" and the term "I'm fucked" litteraly means "I've been Raped".

This one came up here before and I opted to dig a little on this myself. I have had to rely on the work done by other people (mainly those that print the dictionaries) but in all of those cases the etimology of the work fuck is led back to either Dutch or Swedish (which likely are rooted in the same origin).

This is from the Meriam Webster dictionary (I stole this from the online version):
"Etymology: akin to Dutch fokken to breed (cattle), Swedish dialect fokka to copulate"

And while I can not fully trust the folks over a Snopes.com they do seem to have a good amount of fact checking going on over there. See what they have to say on this one as well: http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/fuck.htm

I would be more than happy to have references pointing to a different etimology for the word. I am always looking to pack my brain with even more stuff that my friends get to have the pleasure of rolling their eyes at