View Single Post
Old 09-16-2001, 08:39 PM
Elouise

Dear Robeye,

There is a time and a place for everything.
Yes , you may want to correct some minor technical errors in someone else's sermon, but perhaps you could have waited a little longer.
Sometimes it is the sentiment rather than the minutiae that is important.
The above speech was made on behalf of the Americans by one of their Canadian neighbours- it was an expression of love, sentiment and frustration delivered shortly after what we hope will be the last such tragedy that any of us should ever have to watch anywhere.
As an Australian, I share the pain of loss of the American people for the lives, the hopes and the way of life which will never be regained. I enjoy a very similar life to my American friends, as I do with my British and Kiwi friends.
As a citizen of a country which has suffered the indiscriminate violence of the IRA (I am presuming that you are British), I would have thought that you may have responded more sensatively.
We all know that it was not only Americans who died in this tragedy. As a centre of world commerce that was a given. At latest count it would appear that around 100 Aussies are lost forever.
I am proud that my Prime Minister has activated our bilateral treaty and has pledged any support whatsoever to our US friends. I understand that this could place us Australia at risk, but our current opinion polls show over 80% support. We may be small in numbers, but we hope that our show of loyalty is large. I am sure that my country's defence forces will be proud to stand beside our American allies, as they have in two world wars, Korea and VIETNAM.
When you want to correct facts, please ensure that your corrections are accurate. Over 600 New Zealand and Australian troops died serving with their American brothers in the war you state that noone else participated in. My Aunt still grieves for my cousin who did not return in 1969.

Time and place ,Robeye, time and place....

E.