View Single Post
Old 08-07-2004, 08:15 AM
Wishful Thinker

Send a message via ICQ to BigBear57 Send a message via MSN to BigBear57 Send a message via Yahoo to BigBear57
(Upfront warning, this might get long winded!)

I'm right in the midst of reevaluation of everything in my life. I was already doing things to make changes and Wham, one day one of my constants went to hell in a flash. I'd made the decision to go back to school and finish my degree. I'd hoped it would help in my work. I was inline for some real advancement and things seemed pretty positive. Of course corporate realities appeared and the light in my tunnel quickly became a train. I was working as a toolmaker, also helping out in engineering as a draftsman and heading up some small projects along. One day the company decides they're going to outsource toolmaking and poof my job was no more. In addition to not having my job I was placed back in production at considerably less pay. Well hell I was strained finanacially already (from having an overtime addiction and sudedenly getting it taken) so this wasn't exactly what I needed to hear. I made several attempts to make ends meet but bleak was the best outlook I could muster. So I finally made the decision to declare a bankruptcy. I can't tell you the embarrassment and guilt I felt for months about having to do it but I didn't see anything else that would even come close to working out. I find myself constantly resentful at work and the company seems so stoic to any questions I have about how things were done. Now I have a job I hate and no hope of changing things because they've had some policy changes of late that keep me from even bidding on a better job. 28 years devoted to one career and I'm right back where I was 15 years ago. I know outsourcing is the way things are going but to just jam me into a whatever job didn't show much respect for me or my contributions. A small company that we dealt with during some of my projects has offered me a position at the same pay I was accustomed to but the problem with that is insurance. They have some but it's cost is really high for the coverage they offer. With two kids to worry about I can hardly see going without coverage and take a chance of another financial crisis. So... here I am again wondering which way to turn. I'm sure the answer will appear to me soon but at the moment it's not a clear path. If I can deal with the insurance thing in some way I will have a new job and probably finish my schooling. It's just been a tough pill to swallow at my age.
So, have I ever had to rethink things... yep and rethink and rethink. Objectively? Hell I'm having to settle for semi-objectively but I'm attempting to take my time and get it right.
Outcome? Well... time will tell. I have a place to stay, thanks to Dear Ole Dad and inheritance.
Advice? Well Darlin' you're smart enough to weigh out your heart and mind I think. Certainly there are more positive places for sound input but I'd say, happiness is far more important that $$$ in the long run.

Love is not looking in each other's eyes, but looking together in the same direction - Antoine De Saint-Exupery