Thread: Open Marriages
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2004, 02:01 AM
Resident craftsman

Send a message via AIM to Vullkan Send a message via Yahoo to Vullkan
"WW , The Last time I checked , Majority Did rule . Or at least in my part of the country . So If the Majority define what marrage is the you either have to abide by it or break the law"

Mr ....rider

That is a very weak arguement--for in fact the majority doesn't rule. The laws of this country protect the minority as well as reflect the views of the majority in most cases. Have you ever wondered why there is the electorial college?--the same instrument that put Pres. Bush into office? It is a safe guard that if ever the masses elect incompetent Pres. the electorial college is there to save us from ourselves. Anti-discrimation laws are on the books to protect the rights of racial, ethnic, gender, etc, etc....groups from the majority.

Sad it takes time to change short sighted laws, that do infact discrimate--I am taking about same sex couples. More the pity that now it is a political weapon used by Dem/repubicans while many loving peoples suffer.

The fact is marriage is between two people (for now at least) and laws govern what marriage is and it defines rights and responsibilities. But what the law in just about every state misses is the simple fact that one person finds in another all the elements to make each other whole. True some make poor choices in marriage yet still it ought to be (marriage) a defining moment between the two of them for as ever long as it lasts--hopefully to death do they part.

Yet if in there contractual state sactioned or not by any law the find it desirable to be "open" or closed in their marriage, it is a matter for them and the rest of us ought to butt out and let them live life as they wish.