Thread: Open Marriages
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2004, 06:33 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

Scotzoid,

Yes, I have an open marriage. For the record, it started out that way. We originally didn't want to invite the state into our hapy lives. But, because we live in a oppressive patriarchial society, and much of that is bound up in property laws having to do with marriage, we were legally forced to get married.

We didn't let it change our relationship-including the recognition of that committed, loving relationship, that has lasted for over 14 years now. Far longer than most traditional marriages.

Currently, I have one lover and my wife has several. All are lovign, committed relationships. My relationship with my g/f has lasted for about three years, and my wife's relationships with her b/fs have also all been long-term ones as well.

No, things do not always go smoothly, but we did promise each other that we'd talk about things and work them out. And we always have.

As far as the other issues you raised-yes, occasionally we do worry about possible STDs. That's why we get tested, and ask our partners to get tested.

Am I worried about my wife "falling for" one of her boyfriends? Not really. It's our attitude that, contrary to society's teachings, because you happen to love someone desn't mean you have to stop loving someone else. My relationship with my wife, and her relationship with me is *not* predicated on the exclusion of others.

Are some couples meant for only one another? Of course. Different people are different, and there are many that rock on the exclusive, proprietary type of relationship glorified by our society. Cool for them.

As far as the contrary replies to this thread:

Vigil: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

Irish: Thank you for providing evidence for my last paragraph.

Sweetlady: you rock

HR: Yes, the law is there. But remember, the law is there to uphold a hateful, destructive so-called morality that is every bit as repressive as it is claimed to be. So, no, I don't have any respect for that particular set of laws. And there *no* reason I should.