View Single Post
Old 08-01-2004, 08:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlady
Much of it depends. If you know someone doesn't appreciate that sort of humor, why tell it around them? What good does it do you to intentionally cause unpleasantness?

I am deeply offended by death humor. I saw my mother killed when I was six. I saw one fiance after he had shot himself in the head. I had to identify another lover when he was in a car accident and there was barely anything to distinquish. These things cause deep anquish for me, they touch me in a profound and deep way.

Yet, I do not tell people this. Should I have to explain to a friend why death humor hurts me so deeply? Is this person much of a friend if they cannot simply accept that it hurts me deeply, and profoundly offends me, unless I tell them exactly why? And worse, if they know why, but persist, are they a friend?

I am simply giving you a different view. I cannot find 'death humor' to be funny. Being cruel and unfeeling towards me by making those jokes and comments won't change that. But it will hurt me, destroy the friendship, and in the end simply make the 'friend' look insensitive and brutal.

My point is that you never know why they are offended. You may be hitting a raw and painful emotional wound. Saying you are doing it for their own good is an excuse to be insensitive and cruel. Does it hurt you to not tell those jokes around them? Does it take something valuable away from your life to be considerate of them? If you do not tell those jokes around that person, have you LOST your sense of humor? What does it cost you to care about the feelings of others?

How would anyone know that you were offended,by such things,unless you
told them?Everyone,is different,but they can't read your mind! Irish