Thread: Aftermath
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2004, 12:05 AM
obsolete

Janice

Unable to interpret the look on Mark's face, Janice took a hesitant step forward. Suddenly they were in each other's arms. Her head barely reaching the middle of her son's chest, she kissed him there while he clung to her. "It's okay... It's... "

Trembling, he buried his face in her hair but she couldn't tell if he was crying. God, how she hoped she hadn't made him cry. Pulling away so that she could be certain, what Janice saw wrenched her heart. Tears were streaming down her boy's face. What had she done? Sweet heavens above, what had she done? And would she ever be able to make it right again?

"Oh, my dearest Mark," she began slowly. "I'm so, so sorry. Please forgive me. Please. I didn't mean... " Janice wrapped her arms back around her firstborn, the one who had been commanded by the government to become the father of their child.

What they had done to him was so, so wrong. What she had allowed to be done. How she thought she had felt no longer mattered and Janice didn't care what anyone else said either. She would pay the consequences, no matter what they were. Her son's happiness was all that mattered. It had to stop. It had to stop!

Tilting her head up to tell him what she had decided, she was astounded when he lowered his head and covered her mouth with his own. "Oh... mom."

What should she do? What could she do? Unable to stop herself, Janice Fleming returned her son's kiss.