Thread: Down again....
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2003, 05:31 PM
Am I really here?

Send a message via ICQ to dadaist Send a message via AIM to dadaist Send a message via Yahoo to dadaist
Down again....

...I was trying to correct connection issues with the USB/Wireless adapter on my PC the other night, installed an updated driver, and now it's at a state where it finds the wireless router, but can't get out onto the Internet past that. Actually it WILL hit a couple of DNS servers, but that's about all. The routing table appears to be damaged/corrupted.

Please no further suggestions here. I've already done all kinds of uninstalling and reinstalling of stuff, and I've already decided that the last thing I can do is get another ATA100 drive (I've got a second, but it's ATA33) and reinstall Windows from scratch. Due to what the guys at the Tigerdirect.com outlet store did to the damn thing earlier this summer, attempting to reinstall Windows on the existing drive fails and fails miserably (it gets stuck in a loop).

Yes, I hear you say, why not Linux? Well it's never been proven to me that Linux WORKS with 802.11b wireless. Especially on a USB link. Besides, I'd rather have an independent machine for Linux, and not a dual-boot environment (and SCO can kiss my butt, but I digress).

So hopefully this weekend I'll be able to pick something up, install a new drive, and reinstall Win98SE. Please DON'T leave PMs - my mailbox is full. If you'd like to get in touch with me in the meantime, my e-mail address is available through my Pixies' profile.

-John